• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cross-country 02 trip! its on!

KFunk

good news, a friends sister lives in san francisco and may let me stay there for a few days if necessary, while I wait on the boat.

kangarooboy: one of my autocross pics? I've got one for my wallpaper too. :)

I'd love to get that far north in colorado, but that might be a stretch. How is Telluride? I might atleast go thru there, then up and over.

I just have no idea what Colorado looks like, but just wondering how hard it will be for me to see some beautiful snowy rocky mountains, and not just deserts.

Oh, and my car doesn't look that pretty either.... worse than in the autocross pics even. I've since ripped out the rusty spots and covered them with POR-15, and some poorly matched chevy blue. It's just a temporary stop to the metal loss, until I can paint the whole car someday. I've also got a slight dent in the left front thanks to an SUV. I'm not worrying about beauty though, just gonna drive it. Interior and engine bay look nice :)

And yeah Rob, I'm certainly not making any schedule for myself. I'll just drive till i feel like stoppin or eatin or sleepin. then ill stop or eat or sleep, and drive some more. or make a few friends in some random town and hang out a few days. who knows.

I would've liked the northern route overall, certainly.... but i can't help but think I need to see the Grand Canyon atleast once. I should also atleast drive thru Las Vegas.

Oh, and I just figured out another stop: Ridgecrest, CA to pick up a strut bar at 02again :)

Well since you have so much time at your disposal, then DEFINITELY check out the grand canyon... you will not believe your eyes! you could spend a month there and never see it all. however, once youre done there, i would go straight north to denver, then to yellowstone, THEN east across the badlands. it is WAY more interesting than the plains. at least there is *SOMETHING* there to look at! Devils tower is amazing, too. just ... amazing. i stood there, looking up (we didnt bother to pay to take the up-close tour), and was blown away. and the sight from a distance as you approach on the winding roads, is just unbelievable. Same thing with mount rushmore!! its like, dood, wtf!? all of a sudden there are faces on a mountain side. even more than usual!! ;-p

ive never done the I-10 along-the-border run, so i cant comment on it. seems way more interesting than any of the middle routes, but again, yer mileage may vary... ;) HAVE FUN!!!!!

OK, plane ticket is bought. I'll be arriving in Oakland on September 2nd at 8am.

The shipping company won't tell me crap about when the car will get there. They usually tell people a week to a month, but its usually just a week. I finally found their boat schedule, and I bet it'll leave here August 25th and arrive in Oakland on August 30th. If not that, it'll get on a boat leaving August 28th, and arriving Sept. 3rd.

So, I should arrive around the right time to get the car. Maybe I'll have to stay a night somewhere, and I have a few possibilities for that.

Now there's one big problem, I can't leave anything in the car except for the factory jack. I'm thinkin I should just check my toolbox on the plane, and divide some of the heavier tools between all my bags.

I doubt I'll be able to check in some of my fluids.... so I'm gonna need to pick up some stuff in Oakland (ATE super blue, PB Blaster, WD-40, steering gear oil, tranny oil, 50/50 premix, etc.)

I've also got to mail lots of books and scuba gear.

I've also got to get my cats on a plane cargo class, and they'll be arriving in Ohio way before me.

Ah well, startin to come together. Just gotta sell or give away some of my big stuff over here.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

OK, plane ticket is bought. I'll be arriving in Oakland on September 2nd at 8am.

The shipping company won't tell me crap about when the car will get there. They usually tell people a week to a month, but its usually just a week. I finally found their boat schedule, and I bet it'll leave here August 25th and arrive in Oakland on August 30th. If not that, it'll get on a boat leaving August 28th, and arriving Sept. 3rd.

So, I should arrive around the right time to get the car. Maybe I'll have to stay a night somewhere, and I have a few possibilities for that.

Now there's one big problem, I can't leave anything in the car except for the factory jack. I'm thinkin I should just check my toolbox on the plane, and divide some of the heavier tools between all my bags.

I doubt I'll be able to check in some of my fluids.... so I'm gonna need to pick up some stuff in Oakland (ATE super blue, PB Blaster, WD-40, steering gear oil, tranny oil, 50/50 premix, etc.)

I've also got to mail lots of books and scuba gear.

I've also got to get my cats on a plane cargo class, and they'll be arriving in Ohio way before me.

Ah well, startin to come together. Just gotta sell or give away some of my big stuff over here.

I *HOPE* you do keep a "blog" going,,, it would be fun to see it updated as you go! either this thread or a project blog thread (nahh, keep it on this board!) or a new thread. :)