• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey, I've been "outed"

Otis

So, Mr. Postman arrives with my issue of Roundel. Nice issue, two gorgeous rides on the cover (bad to the bone - simply put, those are just great cars), nice article on them on page 34. Flipping throught the pages, hmmm, new M car, another M car, what's this -- oh, another M car -- hey, page 81 -- "Photographs by David Bowen." Who? What the . . . hey, wow, c'est moi!

But another surprise to come -- turn the page, to 82 -- and there is not just one butt, but two -- mine, and Otis's. Wow, my first time ever in a magazine, and I'm literally, showing my ass! And, for those of you who have wondered, "what's an Otis?" Well, that's an Otis (it's actually an acronym for "Orange ti's")... Hey, Otis -- nice butt.

Wow, a guy tries to stay "under cover" around here, and what happens --he winds up between the covers, "outed" in the club mag. Note the attention to detail -- orange car, orange hat -- go figure. Also, if you saw the Art Car, you know that I painted cats and paw prints all over it. The "brush strokes" being applied in the picture, are in honor of Mr. Boots.

Anyway, since the article appears in Roundel, I guess it could have been expected for the text to have a BMC CCA slant. But IMHO, the event is not a car club event (Tar Heels, correct me if I'm wrong there). Indeed, it takes a while, and a multi-paragraph wind-up, before the article finally mentions the person who deserves all the credit, and then some -- the Fearless Leader himself, Scott Sturdy. Scott, hats off to you, for organizing and hosting the best, most-fun event of the year. For anyone who has not made it to V@V, it's more than worth the trip. So, I more-than-highly recommend that you mark it on your calendars for next year, and come on down -- www.vintageatthevineyards.zoomshare.com.

As for my career as a photographer, all I did was snap about 150 pictures on my el-cheapo digital, and give the disk to Scott. It's nice that somebody at Roundel found good use for the pictures -- but for those who were there, I think I took a picture of just about everyone's car (my favorite being the pictures I snapped of the M1; my second favorite, the kids playing with the slot car track). So, if you want a picture of your car at the Vintage, or of you accepting one of the awards, let me know -- I probably have it on disk (I even took pictures of all the Rolls Royces). And as for Otis, well, next year, he promises a matching trailer (that's the E-30's trailer to which he's hooked up). It's in the works, and it will have a few "over the top" accessories. In short, see you next year at the vintage -- and if I can speak collectively here, thanks again, Scott - we all appreciate what you have done to put together this world-class event (and no, I'm not exaggerating there).

I noticed you got your name in there you glory hound. It's so like you...

Heh, anyway I also agree with your assessment that the article was a little more BMW CCA than V@V-centric. It would have been nice if they had mentioned a bit more about how Rimspoke and the other isetta fella were shuttling people around all day, or the slot car kids, or Bo Black's journey from the mid-west to arrive and win two awards...and only a passing mention about Harry's trip from Puerto Rico.

Still, it did paint the show in a good light. And Scott, you do deserve all the credit. Keep up the good work, my man!

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Otis,

I had the same thing happen in last months issue. But instead of one of my BMW there is a close up picture of my Safari tow van. Of any vehicle I own to appear in a BMW magazine why the Safari, how funny. One weekend this spring at MAM a note had been written in the dirt on the back door of my tow vehicle. I took the picture and sent a copy and note to some club members as a sort of joke to the person that wrote the message. One of them must have sent the email to Roundel. I was surprised to see the photo and caption in Roundel and laughed my behind off. I received the new copy last night and will look for Otis tonight.

John H

Cars - I'll look in the driveway and let you know later.

I wondered where all the pictures came from...... nice job!

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Thanks, Bob. I love your car. We were parked next to each other, but didn't get a chance to speak -- my fault, since I was too busy pumping Rimspoke and Ken Winters for "how to fix my Isetta" information -- that, and painting cat figures on the art car, and drinking wine, and snapping pictures, and stealing jars of Grey Poupon from the back of the Rolls Royces.

I checked the official stats in the back of "Performance BMW" magazine, and confirmed my suspicion -- BMW made only 457 M1's. Whereas, there exists a veritable plethora of middle-aged man butts. Thus, while I thank Roundel profusely for my rear end's 15 minutes of fame, had it been my editorial decision, I probably would have featured the M1 in lieu of my butt. Just my personal view, however.