• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very slight but annoying hesitation

daveoh2

If you've ever had minor, random heart palpatations, you'll appreciate my annoyance at the slight hesitations I get across the board in my daily driver -- anywhere from takeoff to 75 mph. Usually I notice it more at about 40-45 mph.

I did a search and I'm pretty sure it's my Weber 38/38 DGAS. I have 10:1 pistons, a Tii distributor and a Bosch Blue coil. (BTW, I also have a 284 Schrick cam and just love the performance.)

You think the Weber just needs a little fine adjustment?

1975 BMW 2002

check the spark first, its easier to diag whether theres a problem... just a spare plug in each of the four wires, rest on cam cover, look for nice BLUE flameage... rev to see if it STAYS blue... coils go bad, wiring develops iffy connections... could very well be the carb, but iggy is easy to diag. pulling the plugs can also tell you a few things about the mixture. should be a light brown color on the insulator to show nice complete combustion.... wet means yer rich and white means yer lean... :)

My Solex does the same but only from a standing acceleration. Karl goes but then does a hesitation and then goes again. It's annoying! But, my new carby should arrive in the mail either tomorrow or Tuesday. So in my experience with a terminal carby, I'd say have a look at your's.

By the way, I'll be selling this stupid Solex in the near future. Just reminding you guys in case anybody wants to fiddle with it. I'll update you when the time comes. I still couldn't tell you which Solex is in there - maybe the 32/32 DIDTA? If no one wants it, I'm going to bolt it to a plaque and hang it over the open fireplace.

"Solex - The Giant Killer Killer"

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

my take on the matter is that the 2002 doesn't flow enough air at cruise (mine would do it up to 70 mph) to make a clean transition from the progression circuits to the main circuits in the 38/38 carby.

By all means, make sure your spark is good- weak spark has a hard time flashing a lean mixture- but if it is,

try increasing the size of your idle (transition) jets by 5 or 10. And your main by 5.

I put a narrow- band O2 sensor on- and the carb was pleasantly rich in all places EXCEPT that transition. Fattening the jets helped the problem- but didn't fully solve it.

I think I have 140 mains- I forget what idles I ended up with...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

my take on the matter is that the 2002 doesn't flow enough air at cruise (mine would do it up to 70 mph) to make a clean transition from the progression circuits to the main circuits in the 38/38 carby.

By all means, make sure your spark is good- weak spark has a hard time flashing a lean mixture- but if it is,

try increasing the size of your idle (transition) jets by 5 or 10. And your main by 5.

I put a narrow- band O2 sensor on- and the carb was pleasantly rich in all places EXCEPT that transition. Fattening the jets helped the problem- but didn't fully solve it.

I think I have 140 mains- I forget what idles I ended up with...

hth

t

mmmmmmm...wideband!! ;-)