• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 MSDS Headers. Hanging up on center track rod

JohnN

Damn!!!!

I went to fit my headers and the forward one is hanging up on the center track rod. You guys out there that have done this, did I just get a bad lower section or do I just need to try and get the lower section re-bent.

Right now I'm thinking about clamping the lower section and applying some "gentle" persuasion with a BFH. Bummer because I had the headers ceramic coated and I'm sure the coating will crack.

Any suggestions most appreiated.

John N

...As far as I know there is no way to use the MSDS downpipes. Maybe a BFH would convince it to fit...

I (and others I think) bought just the two top 3-1 sections from MSDS. The rest of my setup is custom with the 2-1 collector aft of the track rod. Hopefully they'll take those downpipes back from you.

I'll try to get a pic up here tomorrow. Good luck!

Davin (who was in SF)

London, England

1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe

Pressin' on regardless . . .

How much? I've seen cars function just fine with seriously bent track rods. Depending on how much you need ever think of bending your track rod and getting a new allignment? I'd do it a little more carefully then gently "persuading it with a BFH" if I were you though.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

i think you can use a center link from a neuklasse or some shit. i ordered one for chuck livingston for his m20 car but dont know the specifics. if you like i can call him and see if this would help you

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

may be able to shorten the front downpipe by cutting and rewelding it and get it to clear over the top of the track rod (its not hanging up by more than 1/2

").

Time to measure and scrach my a** (I mean my head)

John N

Damn!!!!

I went to fit my headers and the forward one is hanging up on the center track rod. You guys out there that have done this, did I just get a bad lower section or do I just need to try and get the lower section re-bent.

Right now I'm thinking about clamping the lower section and applying some "gentle" persuasion with a BFH. Bummer because I had the headers ceramic coated and I'm sure the coating will crack.

Any suggestions most appreiated.

John N

well, here's what I did. I cut the forward downpipe at the flange and about 6" down the straight section. then i rotated it away from the idler and tacked it back together at the flange. I kept doing this to all of the pieces until it fit. and then made a y-pipe out of some 2.5" dia pipe I managed to put together the whole thing using just the downpipe pieces and about 1.5' of 2.5" dia piping. either way, you're gonna lose the coating. just make sure the 02 sensor bung doesn't end up at the 6 o'clock position anywhere (to keep water off it).

129_2952.jpg

129_2953.jpg

129_2954.jpg

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.