• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what i did on july 4th

jerry

geeze, i'd never make any money doing this for a living. i just finished for the day, sanding my car with 80grit in preparation for epoxy sealer.

my goal for this long weekend was to have this car epoxied, bondoed, blocked, primered and ready for color....

i'm gonna have to settle for sanded. my next task is to go over this car with 'wax and grease' remover and a ton of clean rags. that should take another 2-3 hours i'm thinking. there'll be no 'fisheyes' this time around (recall previous post).

i'm not sure if i need to acid etch this before epoxy. there's only a few areas of corrosion pitting and i hate to put water on it quite frankly.

post-260-13667566129131_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667566131541_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667566133806_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667566135881_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667566137862_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Looks like alot of solid sheet metal on that roundie! :-) Nice job...it will "always" take you longer than you planned when doing a restoration...take it from one who knows! :-)

Good Luck,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

ramone is the progeny of stray cats from an old house that was rehabbed. he's what i call a Heintz 57. he was a neighbor's cat who ended up with me. he's a bit small for a Maine Coon i think. he tops the scale at a whopping 8.5lbs.

as for the dollies, i was able to use two pieces of scrap metal i found. the front is easily installed using the existing bolt holes where the subframe attaches. the rear took a little effort to match up to the rearmount bolt-studs. i used a piece of 2X4 and about four of those 'smaller sized' spacers used to attach the front control arms to the subframe. the weight distribution is biased towards the rear and i'd prefer to use solid wheels if i were to do it over again.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Cool kittie. We have four -- two that we rescued from a tornado (Allie and Katie, half sisters), and Mr. Boots (a "jumbo" tuxedo cat, diabetic and all 19 pounds of him -- down from 23 pounds from the time when he adopted us), and the newest edition, Little Harvey, who survived the hellish Hurricane Katrina (we adopted him after a rescue organization found him floating in the flood waters). We do love the kitties; Mr. Boots in particular likes to ride in Otis' back seat, but only if we prop open the back vent windows.

This year's art car at the Vintage has cats and cat paws, courtesy of me, and in honor of my mother-in-law's cat, Sadie, who loves to sit on top of whichever of my cars that happens to be parked in "her" garage that day. In that connection, I temporarily lost my mind last year and entered my E-30 in the local "my-car-is-cleaner-than-your-car" contest, just to have an excuse to clean it up (which happens once every decade or so). The judge docked me massive points for "numerous scratches on the front fender." Of course, those are Sadie's fault -- she sometimes she forgets to retract the killer claws when she jumps up on the car. Oh well. So much for my one-and-only attempt at a concours contest.

Anyway, my cats say hello to you, and Otis wishes you continued success in the resto. I'm sanding epoxy these days, also (working on a luggage trailer for Otis), so you have my sympathies.