• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

converting a squarie to a roundie

NickVyse

Well if you want the whole story..

I'm constantly on the look out for my next m2 project base car, which is getting nearer a reailty financially, and if it's just the rear panel and not the quarter panels that has to be changed, then I'm not going to rule out a squarie for a number of reasons.

1/ I want it to have the 'basic' look of the pre-71 cars, which are now harder to find and less easy to justify mucking about with.

2/ Late cars have almost 10 years less time to rust and be bashed up.

3/ more likely to find tinted glass in a late car - something I'd like.

4/ 1502's fetch less money in Europe

5/ Squaries are rubbish so there's no ethics in doing what you want with them ;-)

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

NICK!! I never thought someone as decent as you would utter such words! Squaries have their own unique character and I think are far more definitive of the era.

I had a discussion with two friends from different walks of life and social groups recently - they both said they liked the square light 2002 because it didnt look like a Mk1 Cortina from the back!!

Think of the iconic 2002s in the world... Richard Stern's white Tii - Squarelight, Kieth's my2002tii - squarelight, the Turbo... picking up what I'm putting down!?! We also seem to have way less rust too!!

To each their own I guess... I just expected you to be a bit more impartial :-(

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Well, I got 3 complements in 2 hours today and I have a witness. He even said later on, "I can't believe so many people like these cars." All I could say was if you owned one as well, you'd understand.

I think Nick was just getting back at me :)

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

5/ Squaries are rubbish so there's no ethics in doing what you want with them ;-)

that's a slam to all of us that own them....

play nice

Get a sense of humour esty. If I was going to be horrible to any 02's it would be cars with funny coloured interiors.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Think of the iconic 2002s in the world... Richard Stern's white Tii - Squarelight, Kieth's my2002tii - squarelight, the Turbo...

Todd

i think that the euro squares with the shorty chrome bumpers look great. a nice combo of the original styling and the excellent chrome trim. that said, i'd love a roundie 1600! i can't lie...i love them all, round, square, rusty, clean, modded or original.

now, if i were you nick, i would definitely go for the 1502, if they don't fetch much money. if you are going to race it out anyway, just find a good 1502, pay less money for it and off you go!

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)