• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attention Skip!! Got in last steering box part.

Tiger75

I put together steering box last night. I let sealer set up last night and filled with gear oil this morning. No leaks so far and it turns real smooth. Ok so now what my excuse for coming up there?

I spent about $100 on parts to rebuild. Beats $400 for a rebuilt one!

if we're doing the Hot Springs '02 thing in September we need to figure a weekend there's no football conflict. Please check your calender and let me know then I'll check with Mike W. and make sure he's available too. BTW Danuel got the Creamsicle going. It's pretty quick.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Blunt,

I bought a spare to rebuild. It has taken a long time to get my parts together. Make sure the roller axle shaft and the worm gear are good. They are expensive. If you need either one it might be best to buy a rebuild for $400 +- $175 core. The groves need to be in good shape and the shafts need to have a good fit where it fits inside the 2 brass bushings in the lower end of the steering box housing. There is also a brass bushing in the cap where the top of the axle shaft rides. I had to fnd a good used cap because mine was worn.

I replaced upper and lower seals and top gasket. I also replace both bearings and both races. I don't think replacing all this will give you any more adjusting room with the screw on the top of the box. I think that wear on the axle shaft is taken up by that adjustment. Having replaced the bearing and races, one side of each bearing rides on the worm gear. Mine had some wear where the bearing rides but a new worm gear is about $200. The bearings price is like $46 each but 2002AD has an alternate source from somewhere. Their price is $7.42 each . The races are $28 and $19. The races are different although the bearings are the same.

If you have any more questions, just let me know. This is my first rebuild of an 02 steering box bit I have rebuilt the box on my 1930 Model A Ford. I am amazed at how similar they are.

Tiger75

We're definitely planning on coming to Chicago / Zion...looking forward to some more good regional brews! Tim if your reading this I'm thinking maybe the end of August will be it after all. I'll get Lisa checking optional dates and see what we can come up with. I'll be in touch over the FAQ and by e-mail.

Back to your original subject, I'd definitely like your master parts list for the steering box rebuild when we meet up again. See you in a couple of months.

Keep me (us all) posted about the Hot Springs event. I'll see if I can limp the Touring up there. I may make the Windy City one too (sans '02) as i'm working now just over the border in Indiana.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17