• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need 2002 CR Tranny measurements for driveshaft...

JayKehoe

Does anyone have a 1972 2002 tii(or 2002), with a 2002 CR tranny and a 3.64 diff? I need measurement lengths for a new driveshaft build. From the tranny flange to the center supprt bearing, and from the center support bearing to the diff flange. This will eliminate lengthy car storage time in the shop, awaiting the manufacture of the new drive shaft. Thanks alot for any information. Please also email me privately with info. Jay

1971 Sahara, 1972 Inka tii with Alpina A4 Injection. Both cars have too many upgrades for the "signature" square. 1987 M325ic daily driver( all E30M3 except chassis).

I have an original 5sp shaft that came with my cr tranny (not e21). I'm planning on taking it to rebalance to San Leandro (I think tha's where the shaft shop is) pretty soon. Do you want to see it measure it? Maybe we can meet next week before I send it out. I can bring the shifting platform if you wish. Let me know

Thanks very much for invite. Please email me off board to figure out meet, if possible. I appreciate the effort. Jay: kehoe2002@aol.com

1971 Sahara, 1972 Inka tii with Alpina A4 Injection. Both cars have too many upgrades for the "signature" square. 1987 M325ic daily driver( all E30M3 except chassis).

Thanks very much CD. I had heard there was a diagram out there. What I cannot tell, however, is whether this diagram accounts for the length difference of the CR tranny( or is it ALL CR tranny with different differentials?). I will bring it to my wrench and I will fax it to the drive shaft shop to see if they have encountered it before. Thanks again for sharingyour archival access and knowledge. Jay

Great idea- I had no idea this might still be available. I will discuss with my local BMW Dealer parts guru. Much appreciated.

Seems to me, Jay, that after 35 yrs, etc, that it might be best to get the actual face to face measurement on your car with your trannie and diff. Get a couple 1x1 or so sticks (tomato stakes work well) and put one on the trannie and one on the diiff. Mark where they overlap and you have the perfect measurement for your car. By marking the "story" sticks you can even ship the sticks and there is no need for anyone to interpret a tape measure. I use this method all the time in woodworking.

I agree: the aging process and the hard use may have "altered" some of the OEM measurements. The stake method sounds good. I am just trying to avoid the labor involved with taking out the old tranny and diff and installing the CR tranny and 3.64 diff just for the measurement. The car cannot "sit" at the shop awaiting the build on the new shaft. I do have a breather, however: I am waiting for a special build of custom headers that will replace my craked and band-aided Stahls. The new headers will be very strong and will breathe better than anything I can find commercially. I am not sure if the inventor and the fabricator want to do more than a few sets. If they want to do a larger, pre-order production run, I will ask them to let the community know about it. Maybe I willl help them with it all. So, I wait a bit, before "operation underside". The Inka runs fine with the extant set up.Thanks Jack. Jay

• 1 month later...

I have a CR tranny and LSD diff.. can't remember the ratio off hand though. The previous owner had a custom driveshaft made to fit.

You can come over and measure what you need to if you wish.

Robert

Alameda

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

I have a CR tranny and LSD diff.. can't remember the ratio off hand though. The previous owner had a custom driveshaft made to fit.

You can come over and measure what you need to if you wish.

Robert

Alameda

Just realized how old your original post was.... sorry for being late :)

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

I have bot had the time to make any moves on the driveshaft project. I hope to get to it next month. I appreciate the offer to measure. I hope to take measurements in the near future. Please send address , off board, to my email. We can coordinate off board . I will also try the dealer angle for BMW factory spec. length. But I was advised that each car will have peculiar differences. They should be able to be compensated for by moving the diff on its mounts. Thanks for keeping me in mind. Jay email kehoe2002ataoldotcom.