• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curse of the PO...

My car had the gangsta lean from the day that I got it. I always thought it was the rotted out subframe... Nope, it was my rear springs, the one on the left is about 2 inches lower. I'm just wondering what happened? Was the PO trying to lower the car or did one of the springs break? Check out the cool subframe welds, in the pics below... I counted 9 patches where there is a bar welded on to the subframe. Guess it is time for some new springs.

Casey

post-548-13667565117358_thumb.jpg

post-548-13667565118975_thumb.jpg

post-548-13667565120171_thumb.jpg

post-548-13667565121931_thumb.jpg

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

I pulled the complete rear end last week and dismantled everything today. I have a new-er subframe, urethane set and new new rubber sway bushings and was waiting until I had everything out to media blast and paint before adding my new parts. That will be tomorrow if the weather is up to it.

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

I hear that! P.O.'s are bad news, especially mine. Wanna hear the one that took the cake for my car? My P.O. likes to import BMW's from all around the world. Mine was a left hand drive when he received it. He had my car I think he said, for a total of 8 years before selling it to my dad. Either he did the coversation to right hand drive himself or got one of his Euro buddies to do it. He was Hungarian.

Now, obviously, to save time and money, they reused the same firewall from the left hand drive. But we all know that this particular firewall would need new holes for the hoses to be relocated on the opposite side that they were originally on and that the holes that were originially there on the left side of it were no longer needed. To take care of this problem they simply did what any normal person WOULDN'T do!

1) Drilled holes in the correct places on the right hand side for the hoses

2) Stuffed old rags and underware remains in the old holes

We discovered this after buying the car when it rained for the first time. It was getting flooded in the passenger (U.S. driver) side, and I wanted to fix it. Needless to say, upon discovering this, this was only just the beginning of how Euro trashed Karl was at the time. Keep poking around your car, I'm sure someone has a better story that I do.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg