• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weber 34ICH question

jp02ti

what does the wire running from my 34 ICH to a relay box (maybe?) near the coil do? I am getting ready to convert to dual weber but I am not concerned that if I unplug this wire and do not reconnect it I will not have a running car. Any ideas?

thanks,

Jonathan

weird. i looked here, but no mention of the wire:

http://www.aloharovers.com/tech/ichoverhaul.htm

but is it visible in this image, the little pigtail off to the right?

book34ich.jpg

i've never seen a 34ICH before, but the only wire i've ever had connected to one of my 32/36s is the electric choke, but it is very obviously a choke on a 32/36...not sure what it could be.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

good call landon

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/sonett/index.html?bID=4413

http://catalog.roversnorth.com/wwwboard/messser2/38192.html

if it is the cutoff solenoid, you are probably ok without that wire connected. it won't effect the dual webers. in fact, you may want to remove that relay box entirely if it isn't connected to anything else.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

wierd indeed - I found my way to exactly that same page before I posted on the FAQ - no mention of the wire. I'm really trying to get rid of this carb - I have no exprience with it and I'm really not satisfied with the performance of the car. I've rpelaced all of the ignition parts and set the timing and dwell with the appripriate meters and lights etc and the performance still sucks.

I'll go take a pic of the carb and post it.

JP

Matt has a point. have you cleaned the main jet recently? if there is a bit o' crud on there, it will react in that manner you described. i had a '75 honda cb750 that would get blocked up jets from a rusty tank and would do the same thing.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

thanks everybody! great advice. the weber 40dcoes are already setup to go, probably this weekend since its a three-day. If the main jet is dirty though it will mean I can sell this one off with a clear conscience!!

Next step is probably a new distributor and electronic ignition.

thanks again!!

Jonathan

I had this carb on my car also. It was the idle cutoff solenoid I believe. I put a stock 1 barrel solex on it recently(much better), and didnt attach that wire to it as there wasnt a place to attach it. It had no effect, the carb runs purrrfect.

Your new weber may have a place for that wire as my old 1600 with a dual barrel weber 32/36 did. If there is a tab to attach the wire, try using it. I remember I had to have it hooked on my double barrel for it to work. I think the wiring was done so that it was part of the circuit somewhere.

Also, try removing the wire from the current 34ICH while it is running. It will probably still run, as it is only for idle cutoff when turnin g it off for the most part.

Cheers, Pony Boy

Lance Jones... my name

1970 BMW 2002 ...my car

www.myspace.com/lancejonesmusic ....my music