• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gunther was drunk

mattmcginn

when he welded this fender on.

P1010053.jpg

I bet it hurt his hungover ears to whale on the fender with that old hammer that day.

Just another example of poor fitment found on an unmolested car when pulling the left front fender. The guy welding up the other side was a bit more skilled...

P1010050.jpg

Proof of a few things:

The cars were definitely "hand built" to an extent, but also that they really didnt care that much when it came to some things, and also how easy it is to "over" restore these lovely little cars.

Discuss.

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

It is evident when you compare two cars next to each other. Aside from a few changes, my 72tii and the 73 02 (built 1/72 and 11/72 respectively) show evidence of "forceful mating" of parts.

Like you said, lack of computerized manufacturing equipment and the "personal touch" of Gunther and the "fräuleins"

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

Matt,

in your experience, were all 2002 fenders welded at that joint or did they braze them with some sort of brass filler at some point in production?

I've seen a bunch of 2002 fenders that were brazed at that spot. And it seems like 90% of the fenders that were replacements of the original got welded and then filled with plastic filler- good ole american hack craftsmanship!!!

Bret.

He did the best he could with ill-fitting parts. Notice that the goal was correct grill opening shape. That done the fender top had to be adjusted down. Blame goes to fender quality control which is much worse now than when the cars were new. They were all welded and leaded. Brass and bondo are repairs. Nothing wrong with bondo.

Like Rimmer says-they were welded and leaded. There are some spots on the cars that are brazed like the quarter panel joint at the rear glass opening and sometimes the tops of the door corners, but that nose joint is leaded.

Example:

P1270043.jpg

Note that the braze is not ground down at all-excellent capillary flow means most of it got sucked into the joint.

Also-Duke is right about quality. The quality of most replacement sheet metal is pretty bad. Its pretty wavy most of it and needs a lot of work after its put on. All that extra work for a part that has just increased in price for some reason.

I just got a right quarter panel for a car we're doing-there are grind marks all over it (under the primer) and hammer marks and just vague body lines and a pretty bad wheelarch opening. Two years ago, we did a car and the replacement quarter was pretty good quality-at least much better than the junk around today.

The quality of most of the metal-esp. nose panels and rear quarters-is like a pretty bad aftermarket piece.

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

Also-Duke is right about quality. The quality of most replacement sheet metal is pretty bad. Its pretty wavy most of it and needs a lot of work after its put on. All that extra work for a part that has just increased in price for some reason.

I hear you with the quarters. I was able to get a NICE used (originally from 2002ad... then swapped hands once... and I was lucky to get it for $150) quarter for my 74tii that I am having restored.

It had the inner fender and everything still attached.

post-69-13667563244082_thumb.jpg

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net