• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running New Fuel Line

FL02

When I took out the interior in my car I saw that the fuel line runs throught the cabin in a plastic, and seemingly brittle hose. Has anyone ever run a new fuel line. What is the best way to go? I was thinking about replacing my fuel line for a little piece of mind since the interior is out for painting.

Although you may think that plastic=bad, several experts have said BMW knew what they were doing. The plastic they used evidently self-seals in the event of a fire, stopping the flow of fuel. While your interior is out, you coould replace the old plastic with new OE plastic for your peace-of-mind.

However, many owners will use the metal fuel return line underneath the car as a fuel line because they like metal. It's susceptible to rust.

'76 2002 (Sold)

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon (at least it's a 2002)

I bought my 02 a couple of months ago during a move. It had a fuel smell that the previous owner told me was a loose hose on the tank. I drove the car to work the next day and there was a huge fuel spill under my car. I took it to an exotic sports car independant shop. It was a nightmare. They didn't really know what the deal was and they ordered a new line from BMW and it was plastic so they told me it was wrong because it was a return line. Well to make a long story short the ran a new line under the car with steel for me and it was 550 bucks parts and labor. It doesn't leak but I haven't crawled under yet to see what they actually did. I don't have a floor jack with me, but I will this weekend an I will see what they did.

I will give you updates if you are interested. I do know they ran a new 3/8 still fuel line.

Mike

After I quit using the plastic line, the fuel smell in the car went away. I know the line's history, cause I drove the car from the factory delivery room and it was never tampered with.

I tried all the "fixes" before running outside lines and it's my unproven belief that today's fuel mixtures permate the plastic used in the line.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

i would install new, modern steel lines. the steel fuel return WILL rust. i had one rust on me in addition to it siphoning gas from my tank. it was peeing gas all over the street when i had parked on a hill. best to remove the return line if you aren't using it. but if you really want steel lines, i would suggest not using the 30+ year old return line.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

How hard is it to run your own line? Is it expensive to buy fuel line? I've seen people run and crimp and bend brake lines before, which is similar to the fuel line. I might be opening another can of worms here, and might end up leaving it alone, but if it's not that hard, I'm sorta project-minded and could run a new one when I'm putting the car back together. Maybe run 2 just in case I want to give it a mega-squirt. Maybe I'll check out some of the MS links to see what they did. Thanks

After I quit using the plastic line, the fuel smell in the car went away. I know the line's history, cause I drove the car from the factory delivery room and it was never tampered with.

I tried all the "fixes" before running outside lines and it's my unproven belief that today's fuel mixtures permate the plastic used in the line.

Where did you route your new outside lines? What materials did you use?

Thanks,

Robert

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i