• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Brake Help

o2obsessed

I replaced the rear shoes and cylanders. I put everything back together and took it for a spin. The rear brakes are rubing. So i returned home tried to adjust them. Then returned to the street and again the brakes are stuck on. So now im lost. Im thinking it may be the parking brake cable needing to be adjusted but not entirely sure. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Administrators

Did you put all the springs back on properly? The springs are there to return the shoes back to their position. Also how was the brake fluid when you bled it? Dirty? sometime that might clog the new cylinders. When you adjust the brakes make sure the shoes just slightly tougch the drum. There should be just a little noise from rubbing.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

emergency brake cables all the way at the e-brake handle. Once you have the shoes adjusted, then adjust the e-brake so it'll start holding the car on about the 4th click.

Just as an aside... didja ever replace your front brake hoses due to dragging calipers? Betcha didn't do the rear ones at the same time! I didn't, and my rear brakes are dragging. First spring project...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What Mike said.

The order you do the adjustments is key, plus you have to go in circles a bit to really nail it. You may also be having problems with the adjustment cause the drums are not securely attached when you do it.

Here is my take on the whole procedure (written assuming the actual parts are good and installed properly):

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/rearbrakes.html

Good luck.

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

Also when adjusting the rear brakes you should make some spacers or get a bunch of washers and run down the lug nuts so the drum is held in the same position as when the wheel is installed, this make a huge difference in accurate adjustment.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.