• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any performance parts websites recomendations for my 02' (nt

1974bmw2002

but yea, just take a second to breathe, serisouly evaluate your car and decide if mods are what it really needs right now. learn to drive your car, then go wing it around on a fun(and safe) back road. then ask yourself if you really need anymore. im 15, and im thinkin of keepin it pretty stock, but not going out of my way for originality, like i wont have a full carpeted, partly because its a lot of weight and its just a lot of money. i too had ideas to throw the biggest carbs and cam i could find in it and go beat kids in their wrx(they cant drive so its easier than it sounds). but you also have to remember when your a hot headed teenager, a 100 hp and about 105 mph is a good limit to have.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

like i wont have a full carpeted, partly because its a lot of weight

A full carpet set weighs maybe 6 or 7 pounds, max. So about the same as a gallon of gasoline. Hardly an ideal way to save weight. With a previous car of mine I became a total nutjob in regards to adding lightness, and while the loss of 100 pounds or more does make a noticeable difference, owning a daily driver without carpet loses its novelty real quick. Trust me on this.

i too had ideas to throw the biggest carbs and cam i could find in it and go beat kids in their wrx(they cant drive so its easier than it sounds).

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a bone-stock WRX does 0-60 in under 6 seconds, pulls .88 on the skidpad, tops out at 140 mph, and stops from 60 in 115 feet. A guy could throw the hottest cam, carb, and bolt-ons money can buy at an '02 and any ham-fisted baboon that can press the go pedal will still make mincemeat out of you. If playing with the big boys ever becomes your goal, start saving for an M20 swap.

That said, my dog slow '02 (Weber 32/36, MSD, Pertronix, etc) is one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. Keep in mind that that list includes 3 Mazda Miatas (one with an AVO turbo setup), a Prelude Type SH, and a Mitubishi Eclipse GSX with a T3/T4 and HKS intercooler).

A car needn't be fast to be fun. Enjoy the car for what it is, and save yourself the misfortune of finding out in front of your friends that a stock Kia Spectra will get to 60 two seconds faster than you.

Jason

1974 Malaga 2002 daily driver

plus the main points to save money. and with work, i know i could beat a fool in a wrx. the wrx is only fast because of its ability to launch like a rocket, after that its not much. so if you take a rich kid that cant drive, launch's it like all his friends do their civic and cant shift for his life....thats a few seconds.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

The WRX does not launch like a rocket. Well, It might a few times till something breaks and or wears out. Ever notice that the cars at the drags that are the fastest are usually 2wd. A little wheel spin is what you need for a good launch. I hate to say it but your not going to beat a WRX unless you mod your o2 with enough money that you could have bought a WRX in the first place.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

even in the quarter it could be done. the times posted by magazines would have been those few real fast times because they dont drive it home.(road and track went thru like 6 trannys on a saab once) so if you take a badly driven wrx, a nicely modded 02(an m2 would win hands down) and id put my money on the 02

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

even in the quarter it could be done.

And at 15, just how many times have you taken a car down a sanctioned 1/4 mile track? How many times have you autocrossed?

Listen kid, you're in over your head here. The forum is chock full of guys who have owned literally dozens of cars over their lives and have spent many a weekend at local race tracks. Every one of them will tell you the same thing. All but the most highly modified '02s are no match for a poorly driven WRX in almost any type of race. The driver could launch at 1.5k and stall, and I bet he would still take a modded '02 in the quarter.

(an m2 would win hands down)

Apples and oranges. You stated that you were thinking about throwing 'the biggest carbs and cam i could find in it and go beat kids in their wrx'. And I am telling you that under almost any condition this is simply not possible.

Your argument about beating others due to driving ability is silly. A mediocre driver in an '88 Toyota Tercel with 350k miles would likely beat a guy with no arms trying to drive a WRX STi, but does that somehow make the Tercel a fast car?

Wow, I haven't bench raced in years! :)

Jason

1974 Malaga 2002 daily driver