• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

diagnosing a drive train noise/vibration

Happy Face

my 72 'O2 has just had its tranny (4-speed) and diff replaced. I had it done at a local bimmer shop.

On the way home there was a new, scary vibration coming out of the drivetrain. It may be something that folks here have experienced.

basically it goes like this....when you are accelerating, and the car is feeling 'momentum' going forward, there is no noise, but when you let off a little on the gas, and you can feel the car's forward momentum lag a bit, there is a intense vibration or buzz (for lack of a better description) coming out from under the car. Again, when you press the accelerator, it seems to go away, when the car coasts or you let off on the forward motion, the buzz/vibration comes back. It seems to be coming from underneath, from the tranny/driveshaft/diff area.

Any ideas?

thanks

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

thanks for the responses

with all the tranny, diff work that went on, there's a good chance that the guibo and center bearing took some abuse (on drive shaft, off drive shaft, etc..)

As I think about this, the center bearing could be the culprit..... oh boy, what fun

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

turns out the problem was a misaligned drive shaft. I got under there today and realigned the drive shaft and reattached the center bearing bracket. It was twisted/cockeyed. While I was at it I put the foam pad for the shifter back under the tranmission tunnel instead of up top (inside the car) where they had it. That helped to take some of the sloppiness out of the shifter. I had to take the drive shaft off to do it. While there I inspected the guibo and it looked fine.

Took the car around the block for a spin and the vibration is much reduced, but not entirely gone. I think the center bearing might need to be replaced. I'm regretting that particular exercise.

thanks for the helpful suggestions

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641