• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust bubbles under front windshield sill?

tsk02

I would suggest pulling the windshield, and cutting out the rusty metal now. I had rust under the lower corner on the passenger side of my windshield. I crammed some POR15 up under the gasket and postponed the inevitable for a couple of years, but the rust was still working under the gasket and I just made the job worse. I ended up cutting the bottom corner out of a parts car and welding it in. I bet if I'd pulled the windshield in the beginning I would have had a much smaller repair.

Ian

'76 M2 (with patched front and rear window frames)

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

The only way is to go Ian's route; you'll have to remove the windshield and it starts with the prep work, grinding and cutting away of the rusted material. Do a thorough job and the you'll be all set. If the windshield seal is showing signs of drying, etc..would be a good idea to get a new windshield seal and lockstrip as well.

Tim

'69 2000

i wouldn't be so quick with the torch...if it's not all the way thru, if there's still a substantial amount of steele there you can....

sand all the paint and rust off....a wire wheel on a drill will work great in those curves....once clean, scrub it with phosphoric acid (available in a spray bottle at most hdw stores)...when it dries, nuke it with some primer then some cheap enamel to keep the rust from coming back til you get it painted proper

if you can't poke a screwdriver thru it easily, i'd do the above

I did my M3 this summer. I had the rust all cut out and replaced with good steel. Was really cjeap to get done because I did all the prep work. Then I coated the whole area with POR-15 as stated by a few people. Looks great and worked out well!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/evilalp/detail?.dir=5ea9&.dnm=cd96.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/evilalp/detail?.dir=5ea9&.dnm=c9d7.jpg&.src=ph