• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio

Go to solution Solved by enoz05,

Keep in mind that at least in the US, there was no "installed by the factory" radio for '02s.  So either the dealer or the first owner installed what they wanted. 

The speaker grille in your picture appears to be the correct, as it originally filled in the lower portion of the center console, between the bottom edge of the radio chassis and the trailing edge of the console, just ahead of the shift boot (at least on short console cars).  It takes a 4x6" speaker.

I've no seen the other three pieces; the center one appears to support the radio, but I don't see how the side pieces are used with either a long or short console.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Remembering that US cars came with no radio and not even an apparent way to mount one, and our consoles--long or short--came with a wood (or later plastic) crosspiece at the top (where the speaker is in your picture) containing an ashtray.  So most owners or dealers hung their radio from the bottom of the ashtray-containing crosspiece, and then filled the space below the radio--and out to the front edge of the console with that speaker cover--which on the once I've seen (and that lurk in my parts stash) are actually rectangular.  

So, I guess that may be a difference between Euro radio installations and those here in the States.

Very cool Euro multiband Blaupunkt radio, BTW...

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, enoz05 said:

Do you happen to have a picture of the rectangular speaker grill mounted in a console in a 2002?

Sorry--I have an old rusty grille but never used it.  My radios are fastened beneath the ashtray holder on the '69, and in the Frigiking A/C housing on my 73.  But I can take a picture of my rusty speaker grille if you need one.

mike

17 minutes ago, bluehills2002 said:

My  US ‘72 with a fairly original interior has the set up as described by Mike with a slightly trapezoid cover.  Tom

IMG_3241.jpeg

I think you are misunderstanding, Mike's speaker grill is rectangular, not trapezoid