• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Carpet heel pad for a roundie

Mike Self

Pulled up the coco mat in my '69 to vacuum the carpet underneath and discovered the original heel pad on my original carpet had hardened and shattered into little pieces.  Interestingly, the shattered portion is directly under the brake pedal--all that heel-and-toeing has taken its toll.   And amazingly the carpet (55 years old) has outlasted the heel pad!

image.thumb.png.b0de4b8e0446db52af022f98448c19d1.png

Anyone out there have a ragged old carpet with a good (that is it's still flexible) heel pad that they're willing to cut out and send me?  I think they're all the same color (medium grey).  I have a basement full of 2002 bits 'n pieces, so if there's something you seek, I may be able to help.  Trying to keep Wolfgang as original as possible 😁.  PM me if you can help.

Cheers and TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hey Mike, its interesting that none of the 2002 carpet makers have this same style of heel pad on their new carpet sets. They all seem to put a lot of effort into having the new carpet sets as close to the originals but non of the heel pads I have seen replicate  the original. I did have to buy a new S&P carpet set for my 69, but was hoping to find a heel pad that is a little closer to the original than the one that came on mine. I still have the original heel piece but its broken like yours. Good luck with the search!

John

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

Still looking...the one pictured above looks good, but owner found it all brittle and about to do what mine did...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This is what I have out of ‘70 Sahara, light separation on upper right, still

flexible. HIMG_8157.thumb.jpeg.649a105d220c69a3df18a30d02fcfcb4.jpegowever, I have a ‘68 Chamonix, that the driver’s carpet has a hole with a good heel pad. If you have an original carpet with a damage heel pad for the ‘68,  I will trade with the heel pad from the Sahara. Any possibilities. The two top pictures are from the Sahara, the lower two are from the chamonix. Thanks 

IMG_8155.jpeg

IMG_8156.jpeg

IMG_8158.jpeg