• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii lock cylinder

On 3/11/2024 at 3:19 PM, Carrot said:

I followed the steps for removing the lock cylinder.

Are you sure about that? , clearly states key must be in fahrt/run position.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:19 PM, Carrot said:

Should I just carefully drill it out ? I

Yes, the pin that is, without a key its the only way

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

First lets get on the same page nomenclature wise, lets call it the lock cylinder shall we?

Its the assembly that accepts your key, contains the tumblers ect.

You have to remove it to get at the steering lock assy, once its out  insert a large flat blade screw driver into the slot and turn to release  steering lock. Maybe need to wiggle the wheel a bit while turning it. Take it easy, the metal there is thin and brittle. A good spritz  of silicone spray would  probably be helpful.

I have never tried knocking the pin up into the lock cylinder, I  always drill them out.

From what I have read, knocking the pin upwards only works if your ignition is turned to start, you need a key for that.... Going to have to drill that pin dude..or find a key that fits

post-33314-0-02555000-1377456774_thumb.jpg

Awesome dude, it makes all the sense now. I’ve been trying to knock it out. I’ll go in with a drill. But I kind of messed up the outer part of it with the flat head smh. It’s not too damage. But good thing I stopped before i made it worse. 

i also noticed the two wires on the side of it were damage. Is there a replacement part for it? Or a fine tune solder job should do it 

I did this just a few days ago!

Drilling the pin out didn’t seem to work. It was frustrating!!!

Then l read somewhere about using a small wood screw. The tip of the woodscrew will thread itself into the hollow roll pin, allowing you to pull it out. It worked! I spent hours upside down under the steering wheel and several drill bits before reading about the woodscrew trick.

Be very careful not to dislodge the piece behind the lock core! There’s a springy gizmo behind it that wants to pop out and is tricky to reinstall. It is attached to the steering lock. It is not at all obvious how it goes back in, so avoid messing with it if possible. 
After locksmith fixed the lock core, l threaded the hole (that the roll pin came out of) in the metal fixture that houses the lock core and installed s set screw to keep the lock core in place.

Chris Wiscavage 

Bellingham WA

• Like 2