• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper issues

Dukes

Purchased a reconditioned unit from eBay saying mainly just cleaned and greased   Installed on car and no matter what I do the arms go down towards rubber seal then up   So can’t set the arm height correctly 

delay works  as well as low and high 

Any help is appreciated 

Edited by Dukes
Misspelling

Does the motor park correctly? Have you tried moving the arm that attaches to the motor spindle? Take it off, run the motor and then turn it off, let it park and position the arm where you want the wipers to 'rest'.  

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Old roller done that 3/4 times 

what I don’t know is why it goes down then back up before all speeds 

was wondering if turned tab 180 degrees sure makes it easier to tighten the nut that way 

With delay function you have a late model wiper. With the motor in 'park position, there should be only one way to install the arm. On my 74 the arm faces the left side with motor parked and wipers in down position.

I have not had the pleasure of disassembling an 02 wiper motor, but on other manufacturers there is a cam/gear/park switch that have to be in correct 'time'. With the timing off, wiper function will be erratic. Watch the splined drive shaft of the motor with the arm disconnected. Turn the wipers on and see if the shaft turns quickly one direction then reverses and continues to run. If so you likely have a motor that is not timed correctly.

There are many other minds here much sharper than I... maybe someone who has been into the guts of one of these motor can shed some light. 😵

The following presumes the parking mechanism is functioning properly--that is, ,the wipers stop when the switch is turned off and don't continue to run until you turn the ignition off... If so...

If the unit you bought had been disassembled--that is the motor separated from the linkage assembly, it's possible that the two parts were not properly mated when reassembled.  What you'll need to do is unbolt the wiper motor from its linkage (don't remove either from the car).  Then with the linkage out of the way, turn the wiper motor on and let it cycle through a half dozen or so strokes, then turn it off. 

Now reconnect the linkage to the motor with the blades positioned at the bottom of the windshield, as they should be with the wipers off.  Don't put em at the very bottom of the glass; they should be a couple of inches above the windshield gasket.  With the linkage reconnected, try cycling the wipers on again, see if they stroke properly, and park in the correct location.  Be aware that the wipers move much more slowly and stop almost instantly on a dry windshield, so it might be worthwhile to squirt water on the windshield while you're doing this.  Don't use the wash/wipe circuit--you're testing the regular wiper function.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

OK, I take the comment back regarding timing of the motor ... these are simple motors, and the spindle only turns in one direction. The only factor controlling direction is the arm that bolts to the spindle and attached to the arm mechanism.

If your wiper arms are on the windshield spindles, take them off. Run the wiper motor then turn it off to return to park position. Now loosen the nut that secures the arm to the motor spindle and move it while watching the windshield spindles. You want to look closely at the driver's side, and stop the arm (at the motor) when the splines just start to move clockwise. That should be the beginning of your upward stroke. Secure the arm to the motor and try the operation (without the wipers on). If you still have counterclockwise movement of the windshield splines when turned on, move the arm one spline on the motor. 

When you're satisfied you have no counterclockwise movement at the windshield at the start, park the motor and replace the wiper arms an inch or two above the glass rubber and try the operation. 

On my 74 the arm faced the left side, almost 90 degrees from the center line of the body. 

It's a bit of a fiddly adjustment, but you'll get it!