• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition lock - how to dismantle without destroying?

Hi all.  Now that I have my doors locking properly, I wanted to match the ignition key to the doors.  I think that the way to get to the lock barrel with its wafers is to remove the spinning part the end of the key protrudes through, but that piece looks like it is mounted permanently.  I think it’s held on by the two waffle-looking bits I circled in the picture.  So here is my question(s):  if I grind those away, how will I ever be able to reassemble the part?  What’s the best way to do this?   Thank you!

IMG_0942.jpeg

Edited by -PORSCHE-

• -PORSCHE- changed the title to Ignition lock - how to dismantle without destroying?

There's a much easier way to do this...I had to dismantle a lock cylinder assembly to repair a broken anti-repeat piece inside, which had jammed the cylinder from turning.  It's easier if you PM me for the column I wrote about the task than try to write it out here.  But it's definitely do-able.  And my reassembled lock assembly has been working just fine for the past 18 years or so...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite