• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspiciously Thin Door Panel

Birdie

Another way to install a beam would be to use 3M body panel adhesive instead of welding. You need clean metal to metal contact, etc. but it is "stronger than welding". I've used it for body panels on a VW vanagon (a seam in the middle of a large panel) and it held for the next 10 years. I sold it but assume it's all still good.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066467/

Just another option but I do think that adding sound deadener will help a bit.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

The crash bars don't weld to the door skin at all.

They attach to the door frame, and you can repair that paint well enough 

after the welding burns it off- especially as you're planning to eventually replace it.

You'd want to stitch the beam to the frame pretty securely- when you get hit, everything flexes

and gets pulled pretty hard.  Also, this is why adhesives aren't worth shit in a situation like

this without also engineering the whole assembly.  Which is FAR more involved than 

one person who's not a structural adhesives engineer can manage...

t

it's about the interface and wetted area vs type of forces applied in which directions...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

The crash bars don't weld to the door skin at all.

They attach to the door frame, and you can repair that paint well enough 

after the welding burns it off- especially as you're planning to eventually replace it.

You'd want to stitch the beam to the frame pretty securely- when you get hit, everything flexes

and gets pulled pretty hard.  Also, this is why adhesives aren't worth shit in a situation like

this without also engineering the whole assembly.  Which is FAR more involved than 

one person who's not a structural adhesives engineer can manage...

t

it's about the interface and wetted area vs type of forces applied in which directions...

I agree the best answer is to replace the door when car gets repainted. 

Everything else is band-aid.

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!