• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to fix leaking steering box input shaft seal

hegedus

Written by Ray Daley Saturday, 16 September 2006

While I had my subframe out I fixed my leaking steering box. Mine was leaking from the input shaft.

Compiled by _z_ from the form post How to fix leaking steering box input shaft seal

by Ray_73Turkis_OH

I had the steering box on my work bench and I was able to remove the shaft seal without taking the steering box apart. I did this by poking a small screw driver along the side the input shaft and into the inside edge of the seal and prying up, working my way around. I was so happy when the thing popped up! At first I tried poking a hole in the seal to dig in an pry up, but the seal started getting pushed in and I found that the seal had metal inside it. I had already obtained a replacement seal The size is metric and marked on the seal that I read with a magnifying glass.

18x30x7 shaft seal.

I got mine from Motion Industries for $2.17 as I could drive to one of their places.

https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mi/index.jsp

When I got it the packaging revealed that Motion got it from this place that might come in use for someone.

http://www.intsealpack.com/site/products.html

I hope the pitman arm end of the thing doesn’t start leaking because that will be a bear to get the arm off.

Most bearings and seals have their specs on them so you can usually get a replacement for these from a generic dealer if not BMW. I got my transmission bearings and seals this way, years ago.

Good luck.

View full article

• 8 months later...

Has anyone considered filling a seeping steering box with a grease gun and standard grease as a temporary fix until a suspension rehab?  The lower seal on my steering box is leaking pretty good and gear oil is gone in a couple of weeks.  It seems to me that a thicker viscosity lubrication might not leak out so quickly.  Thanks for any comments or ideas.

Zeffino

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just stripped my steering box, for this seal.  I did try prising it out first, but couldn't budge it.

I ended up buying a complete set from WN, I wish I'd read this first !!  A 3 leg puller easily pulls the drop arm off.  As for using grease inside, I would think it would be pushed into the crevices and stay there ?  Rather than the continuous lubrication of oil.