• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures of installed IE rear camber kit?

Georges

I was thinking of ordering Ireland's rear camber adjustment kit but I'm confused by what is involved for the installation. People mention it in a few postings, but I can't seem to find a picture. Has anyone installed this? Could you please post a picture of your setup?

Thanks!

engine small.jpg

as to what's involved-

you slot the existing sheet metal brackets in the direction you want adjustability

(lowered street car, maybe less camber, race car on radials, maybe more)

clamp the c- shaped adjustment channels in place, and weld them on.

Then you weld some more where the sheet metal's bent, because those things

have failed more than once

(right, gracer?)

and maybe a fillet or 2 for good measure to tie it all together and adjust for shrinkage.

Then you bolt it up, make your best initial guess for a starting place 

(you did mark the location of the original bolt holes, right?)

and clamp it loosely to get a set of initial alignment positions.

Then add (or subtract) camber as desired, and clamp it VERY solidly. 

The toothed version's not a terrible idea for camber, although it never tends to slip,

as there's not much vertical force on the inner pivot.

As to toe, I don't find that many cars need the adjustability, and when one slips,

whee- haw doggies, it's a ride that you don't want to take twice!!!

But for race car, the E46 or similar eccentric bolts with a tiny amount of adjustability

around stock is plenty.  Like, maybe 3/8" at most, and you'll use +- 3/16".

Because rear toe is VERY sensitive around neutral, and anything more just makes

you slow-

unless you're running ovals, then I'm talking bollocks.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

entire process for installing the adjusters to the subframe is documented in my build thread in great detail.  install is for the serrated style...which is the only style anyone should be getting...

install info starts on page 62.

Edited by M3M3M3
  • Like 1

2xM3

Marshall!  

I've never used the serrated type- given the tiny changes I make in toe, I always

feared they'd be too coarse in adjustment steps...

Am I too paranoid?

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

Marshall!  

I've never used the serrated type- given the tiny changes I make in toe, I always

feared they'd be too coarse in adjustment steps...

Am I too paranoid?

t

yes...too paranoid Toby.   i am very particular about alignment (like you...track cars).  the serrations are quite small and iirc, one serration on the toe adjustment was less than 1/16th inch change in toe on one side.  well under the margin of error created by any play in bushings.

i am paranoid about the eccentric version.  only took one coming loose on race car during a race to scare me off of that style forever.   never had a serrated one come loose.  even if the nut backs off a little, the serrations hold it.  on an eccentric, if nut backs off even a touch...buh-bye alignment.

2xM3

That's good to know- maybe the pictures of the serrations were "enlarged to show detail..."

I've had eccentrics come loose.  That first time the rear steers itself... well, yeah. 

"Brown flag, waving, turn ten!  Eleven, throw 100 green some teepee"

After you get it figured out, though, it's kinda fun seeing

if you can make the rear do what you want it to.  But then, after a few more laps, the

'I wonder how many threads are still on the nut' thought pops into your head,

and then the nut behind the wheel starts to sweat a little...

t

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, M3M3M3 said:

never had a serrated one come loose.  even if the nut backs off a little, the serrations hold it.  on an eccentric, if nut backs off even a touch...buh-bye alignment.

20 hours ago, TobyB said:

I've had eccentrics come loose.  That first time the rear steers itself... well, yeah. 

"Brown flag, waving, turn ten!  Eleven, throw 100 green some teepee"

When I flat-bedded my car the driver yanked the trailing arms hard and pulled the alignment out, other than that no issues in 6 years 

IMG_5460.thumb.JPG.32d20d758b5d7ae70034a9eabc27fe52.JPG

IMG_5462.thumb.JPG.b7292f1f76c4b0a3cb96011e8cac96ab.JPGIMG_5463.thumb.JPG.d1afb2f68d4ed63572bd7645b5b9444f.JPGIMG_4590.thumb.JPG.71cc59d480f2120112bef2c61ec40d33.JPGIMG_4600.thumb.JPG.5c5cb43a33dea8bc340b5cccad307d48.JPGIMG_4601.thumb.JPG.d622ee005a3fc0298e962fa0aeadab9c.JPG

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Oh, hey- those teeth are a LOT smaller than what I had in my head...

heh

t

would be just fine with that level of adjustability on even a race car.

• Like 1