• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interpolating production date 2591342 50th bday

Dave3x72tii

Yes, I checked the register. I found that the vins on either side of my '73 2591342 which I bought 45 years ago are not chronologically accurate. While I await a response from Classic to confirm, and knowing that the production date is most likely between april and june '73, I thought I'd try here to interpolate a date if anyone else with a vin close to mine has an accurate date from Classic so I don't miss the birthday. Thanks for your help!

Dave

I suspect some Registry users are not particularly careful, inserting mis-remembered build dates, guessing at dates (without disclosing they are guessing), and, too often, erroneously using title delivery dates in lieu of build dates. Actual out-of-sequence ‘02’s are fairly rare.

Inserting a copy of the BMW Group Archives email into the body of the Registry entry eliminates most mistakes — and both the original poster and subsequent readers can easily “audit” the entry.

Thanks for following up. Is your car’s Registry entry up-to-date?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)