• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Subframe Restoration Tips?

jackm

4 hours ago, jackm said:

I just had a bit of an epiphany from this clip:

Didn't want to watch the clip but clipped through it:

Please use a torque wrench instead of an impact - tightening the tierods with an impact wrench is just dumb.
It's hard enough to be in the 60° to fit the cotter and the torque at the same time (if you're not using self locking nuts) 
As well as the 3 M8 8.8 grade bolts - with an impact wrench you're way over the allowed torque of 25Nm

Edited by uai
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jackm said:

Maybe I don't need to drop the whole front subframe but just take apart everything else: tie-rods, control arms and the rest, a bit like the way this guy did.

Drop the entire subframe out, its easier to disassemble/replace stuff ect. If your ball joints are original and need replacement you have to drill them out, is much easier with the subframe out of the car.

Thats one example, there are more.

Its only 6 bolts at the frame rails, 6 nuts at the strut mounts and the steering coupler.

Get a Haynes manual and embark on the path to enlightenment😉

IMG_4061.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

4 hours ago, Themis said:

I worked in aerospace R&D for many years, personally I think it’s not good practice to take a bolt manufactured in the 60s and submitted to stress for decades, put through acid to replate it and then reuse it. You will not find any engineers following best practices that would do that. I understand many in automotive can say this is not an issue, that’s fine. I’d reuse bolts in many spots, but not in critical load components (engine, suspension).

Appreciate the response.   Within the astro r&d side, I've have several instances where a bolt is stripped of a plating and replated in something else with subsequent testing showing negligible effects (at least with the acid baths used in the process).   I also understand the age/load-cycle worry.  However, as you note, on an automotive application it's generally very conservative.  Just for giggles I have roughly analyzed a couple of the suspension bolts and found that their use was far into the infinite life end of things.  The only ones that come close to being treated as something to be replaced were the six safety-wired-pitman-arm-bolts.

Of course, if the bolt is damaged/stretched/etc it belongs in the neighbor's pool.

I get the concern, but to each their own... would still love to talk shop via PM.

• Like 1