• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(FOUND) Late 2002 8-Spoke Air Filter Housing

2002#3

55, thanks for the note.

From what I have found, yours does not appear in any particular year.  No doubt it's real and BMW.  However, it could be correct for '72.  Here is the CERTAINLY NOT COMPLETE AFH info I have gathered so far:

• 1969-1973    1-bbl carb:   small, 4 short spokes, no BMW logo 
  • 1974-1975    2-bbl carb:  large, 8 half spokes, BMW logo?
  • 1975(?)       2-bbl carb:   large, 4 half spokes in a central circle, BMW logo
  • 1975-1976   2-bbl carb:   large, 8 full spokes, BMW logo
  • yours         2-bbl carb:   large, 8 half spokes, no BMW logo

Yours appears to be for a '74 or later 2002.  However, I could be wrong.  You can help me here...

Please do not quote me or take the above info as gospel.  I am still gathering AFH data for all the 2002 years.  Let me know (i) if your AFH is original to your '72 [that would tell us a lot] and (ii) if you can add any AFH knowledge/info. 

Larry  

Edited by 2002#3
Corrected Data in Text

Larry,

Mine does have a “BMW” in the center (doesn’t show up in the pic), however, I have no idea if it is the original or not. I am the third owner, the second owner made no mention of changing it and the added the weber carburetor (was a 2bbl solex). It’s possible he changed it but i just dont know. 

Edited by its55

13 hours ago, 2002#3 said:
  • 1975(?)       2-bbl carb:   large, 4 half spokes in a central circle, BMW logo
  • 1975-1976   2-bbl carb:   large, 8 full spokes, BMW logo

Hi Larry, do you have a photo of the large, four half-spoke cover?  I've never seen a large one with less than eight spokes.  I'm pretty sure the large, eight full-spoke cover was only offered in '76.

I believe all the earlier half spoke housings were painted gray, but they painted them black in '75 and that continued in '76.  The inside of the black housings was still gray. 

Are you looking for one with an intact dome, or are you cutting that out to install a flat plate?

Tom

Tom, 

Thanks for jumping in.  I am interested in completing an assembly of the different types of AFH.

I recall having seen what I thought was a large 4 half spoke AFH some time ago; however, I have not seen one since.  Therefore, I think you are correct and I agree, such does not exist.  I will delete that one from my list and combine 1974 and 1975.  

Here is the 2.0 release of varieties of AFH.  Please let me know if it need edits, corrections, or whatever.

image.png.59dcbfe4d2f2d053c081f04a402cad34.png

Are you looking for one with an intact dome?  Yes.

1st choice:  8 full spokes.  2nd choice:  8 half spokes.

Are you cutting that out to install a flat plate?  No.

Larry

I think they were black/gray in '75.

I ignored a crack in the dome of the first one I installed and it grew quickly, so I swapped in another one that also has a small crack at the valve cover breather attachment, but this time I drilled small holes at the ends of the cracks and they have not spread.  All that to say, watch out for cracks in that area.  I was thinking of welding up the cracked one, for the sport of it, but it'd probably make more sense to pass it along to someone that wants to cut the dome out completely.  That's why I asked.

Good luck with the hunt.  

Tom

• 2002#3 changed the title to (FOUND) Late 2002 8-Spoke Air Filter Housing