• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

interior light quit working

71bmr02

the interior light in my slick top 71 was working perfectly and now its not.  i've checked double checked, grounded regrounded and nothing works

1 bulb and fuse  good

2 light will come on in the manual on position 

3 light will not come on when door is opened

4 ground is good

5 hot wire is carrying current see 2 above

6 nothing on brown black wire that is supposed to be what controls light on off from door jamb switch

7 door jamb switch cleaned and continuity tested good

8 carried a jumper wire from wires at door jamb switch to terminal on light body and jumper wire from jamb switch to ground, nothing

9 cleaned and tested all contacts in interior light switch body all tested good in all positions 

10 contiuity from end to end of interior switch body

it is a simple system and i'm  sure the solution is simple but i cant seem to find it. any help appreciated.  

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

yeh, it does work so at least i can turn it on off manually.  door jamb switch was grounded to another ground and nothing there so i feel certain it's not the ground.  still testing 

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

There’s no ground wires. The switches provide ground when the doors open.  (Button out = grounded)

Here’s a reference drawing I pilfered from our resident 02 electrics Michelangelo, John76… 

You aren’t trying to run the later model switches, ignition/seat sensors or dash pod in your 71, right? (different wiring)

Tom-too

70BD64D3-52A5-4D6C-97BE-D4CF1897494E.jpeg

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

quick update, got it working on both sides of switch.  because i'm so f#$#^% intelligent i knew I couldnt possibly have overthought it when i reinstalled the switch and did something as dumass as mis-wiring, well you can see where this is going.  thanks for all the replies.

Gale H

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

I had the same situation- went through similar troubleshooting and in the end swapped out the dome light with a new one and it worked immediately.  I am suspect that the X contact within the switch itself was not contacting or grounding to the car correctly..despite pressing/ cleaning the old dome light.

Edited by Overdraft

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

yeah, best to have it out i was concerned the slide contacts may have been corroded so i checked across the contacts just to see if they were in working condition.  

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)