• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 700 "art piece" for my wife

autokunst

Amy's birthday is coming up. She has recently discovered the 700. In a perfect world, we could have found a rough car in our budget and worked on it together. Amy likes ratty cars, but even with that criteria, we weren't able to find a "real" car within our reach. But I did find a reproduction Coupe emblem on eBay. I felt the emblem alone wasn't enough. Instead, it would be really cool if we had a piece of a car - the rear panel where the emblem lives. Of course, if I had access to an actual car, I would never cut it up for a gift - I'd try to restore the whole thing. So I found myself fabricating my own piece of a 700.

I didn't have a car to measure but did find a good photo online.

amy gift-01-idea.jpg

I used the photo to create a reasonably accurate (probably not that accurate) layout of the rear panel.

amy gift-03-layout.jpg

With some measurements, and using the emblem as a known metric, I started with some basic forming.

amy gift-04-basic shaping.jpg

Here's a quick mock-up - it's starting to get exciting.

amy gift-05-mockup.jpg

I think the best part was creating the curved lip along the bottom. Here is a shot showing that shaping work, and with a coat of matte black paint. I thought the "rat rod" look was going to be sufficient, but I felt it looked too flat. Not interesting enough.

amy gift-06-flat black.jpg

So I set out on replicating a 63 year old patina. I am not good at this. My usual MO is to try to make things look as good as possible. It was a challenge to sand away the paint and expose primer/metal.

amy gift-07-forced patina.jpg

I think Amy will love it!

amy gift-08-final.jpg

amy gift-09-curved lip.jpg

amy gift-10-reflection.jpg
  • Like 2

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

Today is Amy's birthday. I gave her the "700 rear panel" this morning. She loves it! We're deciding where to display it, although she did ponder leaving it outside so it could rust a bit.  That's my gal - she loves the rust!

• Like 2

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...