• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patch or replace?

Dudeland

8 hours ago, HobieDog said:

If you pull it out of the clips the hold it to the body there will be enough play to move it out of harms way. Wedge something between it and the pan when it’s loose.  That was my plan initially, but I noticed some slight surface rusting on it and I have an evidently incurable case of “while-I’m-in-there-itis”, so I just ordered a new one.

good luck!  

Going to feel great to get that old rusted metal out and fresh new stuff in!!

Thanks much.  I feel great just by getting anything done.

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

It can be a slog.  But in the end you have restored structural integrity to you car.  And if you take your time and do it right (as it seems you are doing), your repair can outlast the rest of the car.  So keep plugging away (pun only partly intended)!

• Thanks 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

20 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Ok so one quick question.  

What is the best way to deal with the brake line that runs under the drivers side floor pan?

Disconnect the brake line from the MC?? Or work around it? 

Maybe the answer will be obvious when I get underneath it tomorrow. 

Thanks

If you are going through all the trouble to cut, grind, and weld in new metal, just order a set of new, shiny brake lines.  They will look gorgeous and highlight your hard work.

13 hours ago, slowbert said:

If you are going through all the trouble to cut, grind, and weld in new metal, just order a set of new, shiny brake lines.  They will look gorgeous and highlight your hard work.

Thanks.  I thought about replacing them but being a California car, they are in really really good shape.  Maybe when I order some bigger stuff from I.E, I will order up a set of stainless steel lines. 

To "show them off" I would have to fix the seepage coming from the rear main that over the past 5-7 years has thoroughly rust-coated the back 2/3 of the car. 

I did take a look at the return line and thought that it may make a great feed line from a water injection tank.   

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Thanks for documenting your work on this project. It's something I have on my list of things to do soon. Your photos and details of your experience are helpful for many I'm sure. 

I'm curious what method you used to remove the stock sound deadening material that is all over the interior side of the original floor? That stuff, at least on my vehicle, looks like it will be very stubborn to remove.  

Drew

'74 Inka 2002 

1 hour ago, BoltonFTW said:

I'm curious what method you used to remove the stock sound deadening material that is all over the interior side of the original floor? That stuff, at least on my vehicle, looks like it will be very stubborn to remove.  

I documented my dry ice adventure here:  

• Thanks 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

If you have a heat gun in your garage already give that a whirl. Using that and a putty knife I was able to clear mine all out in no time. 

dry ice looks to be the preferred option (and certainly looks cleaner) but for me I would have spent more time going to get it and so I decided to just give the heat gun a whirl. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, HobieDog said:

If you have a heat gun in your garage already give that a whirl. Using that and a putty knife I was able to clear mine all out in no time. 

dry ice looks to be the preferred option (and certainly looks cleaner) but for me I would have spent more time going to get it and so I decided to just give the heat gun a whirl. 

On a scale of 1-10, how strong were the hallucinations? 😆

Also hell yes, @Dudeland I hope to be where you are soon. 

Edited by popovm
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HobieDog said:

The little scraper below is doing a good job.  On the driver's side, the sound deadening seemed to just get crusty and flake off.   The tunnel and the passenger side have that tar stuff installed.  

Luckily I think I will be able to avoid having to take too much of the tunnel out, as it is in great shape.  Just the corner by the gas pedal may require me to remove a 1/2 inch up the wall of the tunnel. 

With the swing press, I was able to nudge it in place to the point I would get a bite with the Cleco's (that came this week).

Sunday fun day! I am hoping to get welding. 

Regards

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Getting it trimmed down to size.  Where the tunnel was clearanced was very thin.  I ended up pushing through it. I will have to patch that part as well.  Only about an inch or so.  The Clecos really help align the panel when you take it in and out. 

My arms are like jello.  I need to take a break.  I am hoping that this week I can get it welded in. 

IMG_4542.thumb.JPG.0c0904a66f6fba8ef67567cf51033c74.JPGIMG_4543.thumb.JPG.94139d212f55a557bbe839f414f8584c.JPGIMG_4544.thumb.JPG.b3fe189081059dcb69d2fd707afe4612.JPGIMG_4545.thumb.JPG.a702e0033e49401374925885e9c54e59.JPGIMG_4546.thumb.JPG.e0e025ee31d8a6e62151ae4999699131.JPG

• Like 4

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002