• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 2002 Ti will not rev over 3500 rpm

Hi there,

I drive a 72 BMW 2002 ti and have a question….  When I accelerate everything works fine untill I reach about. 3000 revs….  Then it does not really want to go any higher….. As if there is a rev limiter n the car….  There are two double Weber carbs in it and a 123 ignition….  Any idears on this ?

Thanks for your comments….

Edited by Dieter01

Hi,

I assume you have a normal 2002 that someone updated to the dual carb setup, so little guidance as its not a stock setup. If you really are experiencing a rev limiter in operation (not something else), it would have to come from the ignition system. Check the rotor in the distributor, that the correct rotor is installed. There is a rotor with a built-in rev limiter, would be nonsense even if it fit in the 123 distributor. The programmable 123 has a software activated rev limiter, which can be set to whatever RPM required. Check these two points.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight