• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rover V8 into a 73 02

Mikesipe264

In the 70's there was a shop in Point Pleasant, NJ that did a Rover V8 conversion using a T50 manual 5 speed and a Jaguar XKE rear suspension and differential.  This was done for a gentlemen named John Shelley who worked for IBM.  He paid pretty good money for the work.  I got a ride in it and it was not very refined and I would not recommend doing it.  We went there with the NJ Chapter for a tech session.  The shop was owned by a guy named Charles DeFrancesco who was a con man if I ever saw one.  He did a couple of BMW engines for members that either blew up or burned oil but the Rover conversion ran well.  It just wasn't something that felt right.  It revved out too quickly as it was geared way to short and this engine is not a revver.  This was originally used in early 60's oldmobiles and the design was sold to Rover who used it in everything from from Rover sedans to MGB specials.  They worked better then a 2002.  I would love to own the MG version.  It was really shoehorned into that 02 and there wasn't much room for it.  You are better off with an M20 conversion if you really wan't an upgrade or turbo your M10.

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318