• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Intake Manifold

tomphot

I’m in the process of rebuilding the original engine for my ‘72 Tii. 
The engine in the car has an E12 head and aluminum intake  and runners.

I’m going back to the original manifold intake and plastic runners and 121 head. 
I just took off the aluminum intake and noticed it was a good bit bigger than the one that’s used for the plastic runners, both in length and circumference.  
What effect does this have?  

E36FC8F0-8591-43C6-B059-DD3D81D8B9FB.jpeg

737ACACD-7619-4641-8AEB-4C46A3057709.jpeg

ACDC8110-67D3-41C6-84C8-4E0CE4B56934.jpeg

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Tons more power…. ?

Actually, I haven’t a clue, Tom. But I’m not aware of a measurable/advertised horsepower increase accompanying the changeover to the aluminum intake runners et al

On the other hand, this increase in the plenum size feeds into the need for the firewall notch on E12 cars…

On my ‘73, I had the intake manifold and four aluminum intake runners (and the exhaust manifold, for that matter) extrude honed for improved flow. But when I took a look at the cavernous plenum, I thought, “No, a smoothed interior surface probably can’t improve flow in such a large vague space!” (OK, these mods weren’t necessarily dyno-tested! ?)

Perhaps someone can tell me now why my instinct was wrong and why I should have that big ol’ plenum extrude honed.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)