• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring Issue

Inka’d02

Greetings,

I have a fun one. I have a 2002 I am restoring, the car did not run when I go it. Now that I am reassembling the car after paint and engine rebuild and I have a found a electrical issue. The car was an automatic, I have converted it to a manual. I have removed the park safety circuit from the harness so it cranks and fires up no issue. 

Here is the problem: With the ignition on accessory or run, the lights have to be on for the instrument cluster to read. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

As always with these cars, be certain that the instrument cluster ground is good, or weird things are gonna happen- plenty of threads from the past talk about it.  No idea if your weird thing might be one of them though - it is Brown wire on the round connector, pin 3. 

Pin 2 with a red/white wire on the same connector needs to be at +12V for the cluster to work correctly.  Perhaps there is some sort of power getting to the cluster via the lighting circuit (just a GUESS)

• Like 1