• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on S cables for seat recliner

rdeeble

Hey Faq can anyone walk me through this... I have 76 with standard seats that I am refurbishing to prepare for re-upholstery.  I'm at the stage of dismantling the seats down to their frames to make mechanical repairs.  I would like to replace all the rusted cables used to recline the seat backs (I call these S cables due to the end piece that looks like an S).  From best I can tell my 76 seats had just two cables: a longer cable that went through the roller, and a short vertical cable that attached from the lever down to the seat latch.

Looking up these parts on Realoem has confused me.  There seems to be 4 cables here, two which I recognize (#2 & #4) and two (#8 & #3) that I don't recognize or understand what they are for - unless they relate to a prior year of seats? 

On Parts availability:

The longer cable #2 appears to still be available new but I have  yet to find #4 anywhere. Does anyone know of where I can find some?

And just to make matters more mysterious  Rogerstii's parts site features yet another S cable with a "looped end" alongside their listing of the #2 cable.  Does anyone know what that is for (it does not appear in the diagram below)?

thanks, robert

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 5.01.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 5.02.00 PM.png

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

With real oem the bold numbers fit your year, the faded ones fit other years and don't show up on the written list below the drawing.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

10 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

With real oem the bold numbers fit your year, the faded ones fit other years and don't show up on the written list below the drawing.

Bingo! Thanks that makes a ton of sense.

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10