• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan motor- power one side..can I save it?

Fuse is good yes.  I have power at one terminal of the motor but when I run a jumper from opposite terminal to ground...motor doesn’t start which leads me to think, motor  is defective.  Getting bits and pieces to dismantle and reassemble that box and repair the motor is a pain in a pandemic believe me...curbside pickup...not reading labels to choose caulking ..getting a turkey baster to remove coolant  - then fixing/ replacing motor...bit of a drag.

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

On 5/24/2021 at 6:42 AM, Overdraft said:

.or am I just avoiding the inevitable to replacing that blasted motor?

Most likely the answer is yes.Many of us have experienced the same, after 40+ years the heater box needs to come out and be overhauled. Not just the motor, all of it.

IMG_1683.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 5/24/2021 at 6:42 AM, Overdraft said:

I can’t get 12v when I put my tester in the socket of the panel light either.

Remember the panel light is on a dimmer (twist headlight knob to increase/decrease brightness), and also the headlights must be on to get voltage.

Thanks to all for the excellent ideas and comments.  I will be jumping into it this weekend and very thankful to have a long term FAQ member rummaging through his garage to find parts and tools to help.  

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg