• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3D Printed some brackets for my Rad/Fan combo

spuriouspseudo

13 hours ago, Robocopywriter said:

When do they go into production?

Not sure, gonna check with some locals to see if this setup fits other cars.  From there I'll see if I can get the costs down with a run of several sets...  At this point they are a little pricey.

Once I know it works on other cars, at the very least I'll make the files available on GrabCad.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Fired up the car for the first time with the fan all hooked up.  Works like a champ.

The Mishimoto is a great fan, nice and quiet.

I used 90deg switch and it's on and off at exactly the right times.  No more fretting on hot days in traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to say thank you for posting and sharing of this @spuriouspseudo!  I stumbled upon it via YouTube and just ordered a Mishimoto 12" fan to give it a shot with my stock radiator (for now).  Are the mounting points the same as the stock radiator mount holes?  Also, I had to cut the model in half and order two parts to be printed.  They appear symmetrical, but do you see any problem with that approach?  

Lastly, via Xometry, the quote is 167.50.  Just curious if that is close to the Stratasys quote you got.  Thanks again!! 

image.thumb.png.0f14a825dc5375f6a04924224c09541c.png 

21 minutes ago, wheelieking said:

Are the mounting points the same as the stock radiator mount holes?

Yes, I designed this to work with the factory holes of the car...  It's intended to work with the Champion Rad, but the face of the stock unit should be close.

22 minutes ago, wheelieking said:

They appear symmetrical, but do you see any problem with that approach?

The two sides are not symmetrical, there are subtle differences to deal with the mounting points in order to centre the fan.  I can split the model and post it in two parts if you want.  That price seems much better than I paid, but at the time I had to get across the border, too.

Cool to see this being used...  Can't wait to see it fitted.  

Nice! Yeah, if you wouldn't mind splitting, that would be awesome! I butchered it in Fusion 360 to try to fix some "floating part" feedback in the quoting process.  I was originally going to install an IE fan with the little plastic zip locks that go through the radiator, but found that I can't really install the fan to the rad, and then slip the assembly past the water pump.  Plus this just looks 100x cooler! ?

image.thumb.png.38044451a6840b0a560efa8f3b3679b4.png

• Like 1

It's weird that they won't let you do a multi-body part.  You may want to call them and see if they can do the original...  I made it that way, as a nest, to save on setups; it was cheaper for me to get the pair within the same part.

Looks like they print in the Z, so that's good. I used Multi-Jet-Fusion MJF - Might be cheaper than the SLS - I used the same material, Nylon 12.

23 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Is this the filament that I need to use

This is different to what I used...  Nylon 12pa has a deformation at 90C, but mine have held up fine through a summer.  I would guess that it would be fine.  Looks like melting point of that filament is well above 200c.

What printer are you using...  I'd be keen to see your results.

Edited by spuriouspseudo

8 minutes ago, spuriouspseudo said:

This is different to what I used...  Nylon 12pa has a deformation at 90C, but mine have held up fine through a summer.  I would guess that it would be fine.  Looks like melting point of that filament is well above 200c.

What printer are you using...  I'd be keen to see your results.

I am using an Ender 2.  I am not sure if it has enough chooch to get it gooey.   I will have to check.   I will also post my results.  I have printed a relay holder and it turned out quite nice.   Obviously I can't use it with the abs that I printed it with,but a good result.  

Now I have to take time to teach myself how to use CAD.   I am currently sitting here with corks in my ears which are stopping my brains leaking out after I taught myself how to use deploy Python based Azure Cloud Functions. Two weeks of hell, but I am almost up the curve.

Regards

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002