• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Rust Discussion

Stevenhy92

15 hours ago, TobyB said:

Go shell- shopping.

If something good turns up, that's your answer. 

In the mean time, start taking

what you have apart, and see how it goes.  The nose being removed is... a bit daunting,

given that you will probably be replacing rockers, rear subframe mounting points, inner rear fenders....

it's a lot of re- creation, from the looks of it.

We had acquired at least 3 cars by the time I got the 'first' one 'finished'... at least one looked like that!

t

Honestly considering the shell idea now after everyones advice haha. Would all the electrical work be hard? 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:43 AM, Stevenhy92 said:

Before I get into this I just want to say that this will be a lengthy post because I'm a complete idiot..

Hey!  Stop stealing my Brand!  

Seriously, here's a raft of photos I put up when my 02 had a rustectomy last year.  You can get some idea of how much work it was.  You can also gauge your car against my car in terms of what you'll find.  Because until you take the front fender off, and cut the rocker off, you don't know how bad it is behind there.  

Be sure to start at the beginning (titled "Before") where there are some pics of my car, and a bunch of cars owned by FAQers.  Then, the devastation, LOL.  

Scott

• Like 3

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

still need to go through some of your guys post and photos above. Thank you all for giving me solid advice. This group is so helpful compared to other communities I’ve been in. 

Also just realized my car is “Pinkey” after searching through the forum and I’ve seen some of you guys comment on the thread of when he crashed the car. Wish I found those post before haha..

I am considering the 75 shell on the classifieds on here and didn’t know you could convert the square tail to a Roundie until I read the posts about pinkey. Wondering how hard everything else would be? Electrical and all that? I’d still have my shop install the motor and tranny. 

• Like 1

I'll defer to the real experts here, but I think rewiring the thing is a matter of how much time and dedication you've got, and about having all of the proper materials with you when you start (properly colored wires of the right gauge, all of your disconnects / coulpers) so you don't cut corners and keep everything clear and understandable. There are detailed wiring diagrams in the shop manuals (if you don't have one, PM me and I'm sure we can... source you one) that you can follow. I just imagine redoing everything would be pretty mind-numbingly tedious more than complicated. The electrical logic seem pretty simple. 

• Like 1

If the ‘75 shell is one in California, I just turned it down as the floors and rear seat area at the wheel well were a little worse than originally described.  I’m just going to bite the bullet and buy the restoration design rear tire wells.  

3 minutes ago, jk16vturbo said:

If the ‘75 shell is one in California, I just turned it down as the floors and rear seat area at the wheel well were a little worse than originally described.  I’m just going to bite the bullet and buy the restoration design rear tire wells.  

Here’s the one I think it’s in PA. 

D455BB2D-0377-4C86-A8C3-3827D9C7C03D.jpeg