• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight "filler rings"

Russellrh72

Hello all. I am fixing up a 1971 2002 and am currently trying to get the headlight set up correct. My understanding is that I have deep headlight grilles (pictured) for this early setup. My headlights have the retainer rings (pictured in not-so-great-shape with the headlights), but I believe that I'm also supposed to have to a pair of asymmetrical filler rings to close the gap between the headlights and the bucket edge of the grille. Does anyone have any available? And while you're at it maybe a picture of this complete setup so I can get a peek at what I'm actually doing? Thanks everyone!

Rob

IMG_20200726_160006.jpg

IMG_20200726_155946.jpg

Russell,

I don’t have any for sale, but I’ve got a photo!

You squeeze the asymmetrical ring, and it fits into the retaining ring. You rotate the symmetrical ring so that it’s tall side matches up to the largest gap between the grille and the headlight.

Below, in the foreground, is an asymmetrical ring. There is a retaining ring in the background. A thin, feathery gasket (light gray) helped to close the gap. The gaskets, however, are generally missing or in poor condition by now, 45 years down the line.

Good luck,

Steve

7C769616-0165-45C9-B854-C0035B5D436D.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, Russellrh72 said:

Thanks, Steve! I saw your above picture when searching this topic. So the asymmetrical ring goes on the outside of the retaining ring? What holds it in place? And the gasket is between the asymmetrical ring and the grille bucket? 

Rob

Rob,

The asymmetrical ring, when compressed, fits within the leading edge of the retaining ring. It’s outward pressure against the retaining ring holds it in place. It pretty much locks in place. I have a photo somewhere of a fully assembled headlight bucket. Let me see if I can find it!

Regards,

Steve

Wow thanks for your help Steve. I read another thread where you described that in detail and used the words "within the leading edge"....just can't picture it. And not sure how this gasket comes into play. I'm assuming that finding a gasket is not going to happen.....at least not one that isn't dry rotted and falling apart. You think something else could be used in place of that factory gasket? Some sort of aftermarket weather stripping maybe? 

Is this what I'm looking for? 

Screenshot_20200727-003326.png

Edited by Russellrh72

7 hours ago, Russellrh72 said:

Wow thanks for your help Steve. I read another thread where you described that in detail and used the words "within the leading edge"....just can't picture it. And not sure how this gasket comes into play. I'm assuming that finding a gasket is not going to happen.....at least not one that isn't dry rotted and falling apart. You think something else could be used in place of that factory gasket? Some sort of aftermarket weather stripping maybe? 

Is this what I'm looking for? 

Screenshot_20200727-003326.png

Yes. That’s them!

Grab ‘em!

Regards,

Steve