• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Norma-type hose clamps, large ones

Stein-man

Hi, All -

I am looking for some hose clamps like in the picture.  The plastic intakes on my car came with two of them (nominally 57mm diameter), and the others are the worm-drive style.  I *believe* that the Norma type came on the car originally, and I prefer them over the worm type.  BelMetric only has Normas up to 34mm.  Anyone have a bunch of these?  Let me know, thanks!

- Rob

DSC_1444[1].JPG

Edited by Stein-man

You are probably looking for something more stock looking, but in case you are open to other options try googling "T-bolt hose clamps"

https://smile.amazon.com/HPS-SSTC-57-65-57mm-Stainless-T-Bolt/dp/B0058W7VWK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=57mm+stainless+steel+hose+clamps&qid=1590781034&s=automotive&sr=1-4

mm

Hi, Danny -

Well, things have changed a bit.  I have long vacillated between the aluminum runners and the plastic ones the car came with.  I called that nice guy at La Jolla Independent about buying a few plastic runners, since most of mine look like they have been through the war.  He said recent product from BMW split apart along their seam in a very short amount of time - not good.  This is steering me towards putting on the aluminum runners.  Since the hose clamps we for the plastic ones, I don't need the 57mm ones any more.  However, I could use 8 or so of the 39-40mm for radiator/thermostat hoses.  We'll talk on the phone, thanks, Danny!

- Rob

Mark 7 -

Thanks, but no t-bolt clamps on this engine.  ?

Rob,

Yes, BMW gave up on the plastic runners and moved to aluminum runners — more expensive to manufacture — because plastic runners had more than their share of problems: cracks, leaks, and challenging fitment.

But... installing aluminum runners on an originally-plastic-runner car (generally 2760001 through 2761944 and 2762015 through 2762372) takes away one of the more distinctive and noticeable elements of the early tii’s.

I know you’re restoring your car to a high level, and all restorations have compromises somewhere, but this is not the place to be... practical!

Picture this. Twenty years from now, the car is on Bring a Trailer. The fanatics — yes, I might be in that group — are ripping the car apart over one issue: the aluminum intake runners, which convince the peanut gallery that the engine is non-matching. And... it gets worse: you’re leading the charge against the aluminum runners! ???

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi, Steve -

Your wisdom is always appreciated.  I am the kind of guy that can make *anything* work, particularly if BMW made thousands of these things with plastic runners.  I will figure it out, take great care, and the plastic intakes will work. 

The fanatics - Steve, you are already in that group!  ?  I won't be leading the charge to aluminum runners, even though they might be arguably better.  Between you and Coloincaalpine, I think this deal is done.  What's more, ShermanMartinez has a NOS set of plastic intakes.  I have emailed him about these already.

Thank you, Steve!

- Rob

• Thanks 1