• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gaskets

Beantown

Hi All,

I am preparing for my assembly of the engine for my 02.  I have ordered the short block gasket kit and head gaskets set from I.E.  It looks like a great set and looks very complete.  Now,  my engine came partially disassembled when I got it,  so not all the little bits are included.  I was wondering if anyone had a diagram or picture that explained where all the little gaskets go on my engine rebuild.  Most of them I can figure out,  but there are a bunch of small strange ones that I have no idea where they go...  I contacted I.E. and they don't have anything,  but someone must know where they go...

Thanks a bunch!

Jamie

Yup, I know. 

Depending on which set Ireland sold you, for what year M10, 

you have gaskets for everything on your engine, plus 2 gaskets in case your

car is a 1975 M10B16 in a 518, a crush washer for the oil line on a '74 tii, a gasket

for the fuel distribution block mount on an '81 318i, and some other crush washers

just in case you have the alternate oil pan drain bolt size, or a 1985 318i.

In short, the kit's 'one size fits many' and you simply don't use the ones you don't need.

www.realoem.com for YOUR engine will show you what you need, but you do need

to check part numbers- often, the diagram shows several gaskets or seals, but the 

part number listing for your car will only have one.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL