• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Set of Staggered Steel wheels and Hubcaps

resra

Price: $400

Description:

Ok Don't laugh but this is a set that came on my 1600 long time ago. They were redone at some point but now sits in storage and has some shelf marks etc. The fronts are 4.5x13 and rears are 5x13 (Date 12/71 and 11/72). No, I won't sell the two 5x13s by themselves. All four with all four shiny hubcaps. Will need new BMW stickers in the middle.

Again, let there be no confusion please. Two wheels are 4.5"x13"

And two are 5"x13"

$400+shipping

As always, I take paypal

email me

resra@att.net

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

Edited by resra

Resra, I think your 5" pair might actually be off an Opel Kadett. I noticed that your wheels have two different orientations of the valve stems -- two are aligned with one of the hubcap nubs, and two (I think the 5" ones) are between nubs. I have a set of the Opel wheels (put on the car by my dad in the mid-'70s), and the only "tell" that they're not ti/tii wheels is the valve stem, which doesn't go through the circular hole in the cap but through one of the oval slots. My dad carefully filed the relevant slots in the hubcaps a bit wider to avoid cutting into the valve stem.

Neither here nor there to their value in my opinion (the Opel wheels are made by Kronprinz or Lemmers, same as the BMW ones), just kind of an interesting period footnote. The Opel wheels almost seem to surface less often than the tii ones anymore.

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler
  • Like 2

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

My two cents?

Dave is probably correct. My ‘73 came with 4 of its original Kronprinz 5 x13 rims, all marked “BMW” and appropriately dated for an October 1972 car. In addition, I purchased a similarly-dated Kronprinz 5x13 rim off of a nothing-but-rust ‘73 tii. All five of these rims are model 5448 A, whereas, besides lacking a “BMW” stamp, resra’s two 5x13 rims appear to be model 5446 A.

Amazing eyes, Dave!

But even the dates of resra’s rims are perfect for a tii.... ?

Regards,

Steve

27970D63-A9D4-48D5-A4EC-84E252B551ED.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Glad to see they sold quickly despite the total thread hijack!

For posterity, here is one of my Opel wheels, which seems to confirm my suspicions that your 5" wheels were for an Opel. Note the location of the valve stem, 60 degrees off of Steve's tii wheel above and identical to those two of yours. Mine are (or at least this one is) Lemmerz, so the codes don't relate to the Kronprinz ones shared by Steve, but they are clearly stamped "Opel Kadett" near the center.

I think this is getting serious--now we're delving into the trivia of Opel parts that just happen to fit our cars! :-)

-Dave

Opel1.jpg

Opel2.jpg

• Like 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

I wonder if including the Opel insignia or not is a Kronprinz/Lemmerz difference. Also interesting to note the differences in the secondary holes between the lug holes--Resra's have two at 180 degrees from one another, Steve's tii wheel has four offset between the lugs, and mine has none. I've often wondered what those little holes (common on various wheels, both steel and alloy) are for. Something in the manufacturing process? Securing certain center caps?

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

I don't know Dave but the BMW hubcaps align just right with the triangular notches and the hubcaps securely fasten to the rims very firm and don't come off unless you pry them with a tool. I'm still dumbfounded that there are no sign of Opel Kadett nor BMW like Steve's.

BTW, I'm no purist and numbers matching, dates matching etc. don't mean a thing to me. Life is too short.