• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

265/5 service

Driv3r

Is there a way I can change seals and do minor service without having to rebuild my gearbox?

My first gear whines a little but no problem with its operation. Could it be the bearing? Do I need a special tool to change it?

Your advice is appreciated.

If you have noise in 1st gear it is usually the front countershaft bearing and/or the input shaft bearing. They are not all that hard to replace without the “special tools”. 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

you are sure it is a 265/5 box in a 2002?

Yes, I removed it from my E28 M535i, it's going in my 02. It has a slight leak. Never dropped any oil on the floor when parked but the housing is dirty and semi wet.

e9e0e27342149707e6e5181aa7d36dd7.jpg

bc61d58067b99b7ae34b7e2dbf99a8a6.jpg

You will need to baisicly cut the transmission tunnel out of the car and fabricate a new one to clear that transmission. It’s too tall and too wide, even if your car has the bigger automatic trans tunnel. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Yes, I'm having the whole tunnel copied by a professional body shop (they'll make me a one piece larger tunnel with no weld lines) to replace my stock tunnel. I wont be installing insulation and carpet over the tunnel anymore. the interior tunnel will match the exterior paint and I will have the early shift boot with a short shifter.