• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ti Airbox

GirtAllerton

I had twelve of these air boxes, ten were NK style and two were for the 02. There are some very important differences between the two style. I removed and purchased most of them from the local self service salvage yards during the 1990s for under $10 each, including the rubber boots and filters. Over the years I've given away and / or traded all but one 02ti style canisters which I kept for myself. Most of the Ti cars I came across at the yards were 1800tis and some 2000tis. I found one of the 02ti style sitting in the trunk of a 2002 at the yard while I obtained another through a trade. The NK cars at the yards were mostly complete and pickers were taking very few parts from them as they were in low demand. They were all crushed with most of the parts and interiors intact. I also removed many of the swan neck mirrors which were only $4 each. But, I only kept few as I gave most away.

And, now these air boxes are commanding $500 while the mirrors are anywhere between $150 - $300 ?

With the exception of the old timers, the prices, new comers and new owners stand in stark contrast to what the hobby once  represented. It's pretty sad to see all this.

Edited by Autostrada

Autostrada, I hear your dismay in losing the past. But, when was your last visit to that wrecking yard and how often do we see these cars there now. Yes, we all miss simpler times when things were inexpensive and people were easy-going. The nature of enjoying vintage cars is that they are slowly getting rarer and and parts if not reproduced are harder to find. But you don't blame time in your statement, you waggle your finger at the new comers and new owners. Sorry, Sir you are wrong, they are the same people. They enjoy a hobbie, they enjoy the same machine you do, as you do, just in a different time. They are friendly, willing to lend a hand and luv to talk about their cars. What is different? Times change good man. Sorry for your loss.

• Like 4

I feel your pain Autostrada. I lucked into a 3.0csi in college but maintenance was too much at the time and I sold it. Looked at getting another before starting my current e10 project. Just too far out of my price point. One of the benefits of having an older car going up in value, reproduction parts are available, albeit at a higher price. 

Respectfully,

Dennis

7 hours ago, GirtAllerton said:

Autostrada, I hear your dismay in losing the past. But, when was your last visit to that wrecking yard and how often do we see these cars there now. Yes, we all miss simpler times when things were inexpensive and people were easy-going. The nature of enjoying vintage cars is that they are slowly getting rarer and and parts if not reproduced are harder to find. But you don't blame time in your statement, you waggle your finger at the new comers and new owners. Sorry, Sir you are wrong, they are the same people. They enjoy a hobbie, they enjoy the same machine you do, as you do, just in a different time. They are friendly, willing to lend a hand and luv to talk about their cars. What is different? Times change good man. Sorry for your loss.

I agree with your assessment in that time is a crucial variable and component, something I left out. But, given the new reality, I'm left with the impression that the so called 02 community is not as "Salt of the Earth" as it once was. Entry into the hobby requires a lot more $$, and the hobby has recently attracted a good number of young  professionals which have a very different mindset. By professionals I mean a lot of the .com, tech and entertainment industry folks with $$. Hollywood's "Seinfeld" is partially responsible for driving up both, the Porsche and 02 prices and ruining it for many others. I never cared for the guy, nor did I ever watch one episode of the mainstream Hollywood "crap'. Sure, they enjoy the hobby and the same machines.  Like many of Hollywood's screenwriters, these are the same idea thieves who've ripped-off the subculture and made it non-affordable for the people who started it. I know first hand because I worked as a "Writer" affiliated with the industry.

I've stopped visiting the wrecking yards about 15 years ago. And, in my opinion, what has happened since has all gone in the wrong direction. When I think of everything behind the 02 community, I have a difficult time into talking myself to even attend the events.

I also found a lot of Alfa parts at the yards. And, I literally gave them away. Parts like original Weber DCOE carbs from a 1965 Alfa Gilulia GT Junior. I sold them to an Alfisti friend for the same price I purchased them, $36 for the pair. And, I threw in the grille for free. Those early Alfa grilles are very thick with heavy chrome plating, unlike later models. They cost hundreds of dollars, if not a thousand these days. I used to hand out the round "Carillo" side reflectors like candy to friends with Alfa's, Fiats and Ferraris. They would ask "Where in the world did you find these things, are you sure you don't want anything for them?" There is still an all aluminum Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato sitting in may garage rescued from Pick Your Part for $600. It runs, but is not restored. Those cars are selling for $100K, restored. To me it's just an exotic front wheel drive Subaru. And, when I think of some of the yuppies I ran into recently at the car shows, I doubt I'll ever pass it on to one of them. I don't care about them or their money. I'll take some pics of the car and try turning over the motor as I haven't done so in a long while.

Edited by Autostrada

My Man, I'm no therapist just a hard working guy enjoying a hobby. Since I sold my car, I'm trying to give other guy's cars parts some of them may need instead of leaving them sit or even worse get thrown away.

Sounds like your wrapping all this up with whats going on in your life. Take a breath. Decide if these things you have accumulated bring you joy or not. Make your decisions from there. It sounds like its a real shame to lose you in the community here. Your knowledge and skills should be afforded to the younger people you distrust so much. Guide them and be an example.

These machines we tend too exist with no malice. They just need cared for, maintained and driven. Joy comes in the fact that we care for them. Prices are prices. If I had a buddy that needed these things they would get handed to him but I don't. Their tastes and cars run in other directions.

I can no longer afford vehicles I used to own but I don't blame it on others, its a market. What I do is move on and try not to accumulate stuff I don't need. Because in the end it doesn't matter. Holding on to these things doesn't make me richer nor does the few bucks that changes hands.

Enjoy your present, go give that Zagato a little time it deserves. Get it running and drive it. Enjoy it for what it is, not what others think its worth. Hopefully, it will bring the smile back that you had when you saved it from its orginal fate.

My best Sir. 

I had (2) 2002ti air boxes when building my 69.  I sold the most original to another FAQ’r who was missing his air box on his genuine ti.  The other air box was a NOS version I purchased from a FAQ’r who sold all his parts.  I thought it was better to let someone else buy one rather than me keep a “spare”.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

4 hours ago, GirtAllerton said:

Enjoy your present, go give that Zagato a little time it deserves. Get it running and drive it. Enjoy it for what it is, not what others think its worth. Hopefully, it will bring the smile back that you had when you saved it from its orginal fate.

My best Sir. 

The tech Yuppies and the "Market" are one and the same for me. 

I'll never pass it on to any of them, and that includes some of the major collectors, even if they offered me $100K for it. That's the level of contempt I have for some of these people. One day I came across a Golf Yellow Tii roundie at the yard. I was with a friend. The car had a perfect two piece dashboard, with no cracks. The yard was only asking $12 per pad. I had no money left that day and neither did my friend. I witnessed him picking up a crow bar and destroying that perfect dashboard and asked him what the hell he was doing. He said "If I can't have it, nobody else can". I thought "What a greedy bastard". To make a long story short, that guy went on to become a successful executive for a large corporation. Evidently, he fit their mold. There is no way I'll pass on my Zagato to those people, for any price. They can go to "Hell" along with their "Collector" cars. 

Edited by Autostrada

Autostrada, Good Sir this is where I end our conversation. Wish you the best with your endeavors. You are looking for a debate for which there is no conclusion. I will not follow you down the rabbit hole any further. I perfer looking forward and toward the light not into the darkness. Have already been there and found no good in it for me. Thank you for the conversation. 

My best to you. 

Girt

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GirtAllerton said:

Autostrada, Good Sir this is where I end our conversation. Wish you the best with your endeavors. You are looking for a debate for which there is no conclusion. I will not follow you down the rabbit hole any further. I perfer looking forward and toward the light not into the darkness. Have already been there and found no good in it for me. Thank you for the conversation. 

My best to you. 

Girt

No Problem.

No darkness here, just reality.

Not looking for a debate, just giving my observation based on my 40 years of experience with these cars and the classic car culture/

Good day to you too. 

Edited by Autostrada