• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throw out bearing replacement hack

dapbmw

In my opinion no, you will need to also disconnect driveline and totally remove transmission. I have installed and reisntalled, due to a bad transmission, several times in the last few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dave R.

1975 Inka 2002a

40 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Never tried it that way but if you also removed the two bolts holding the center support bearing and carefully supported the transmission, the geometry might work for you.

If dropping the center bearing isn't enough, disconnect the u-joint at the diff and the whole driveshaft-on-tranny will come free. Of course, you've disassembled the whole driveline except the guibo by then.

If your transmission is a G245/5 from a 320i, you'll need to disconnect or remove the slave cylinder before dropping the trans also. Don't forget the shifter linkage, either.

I think this isn't turning out to be much of a useful shortcut. With the trans fully removed and out of the way, it seems to me that clutch work gets much easier.

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now