• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seats...

irdave

19 hours ago, irdave said:

Looking for some chairs for the '72.  The car came with what appears to be a factory-option sport seat and a stock passenger, both of which are pretty hammered...  So I'm open to options- good stock OE seats, maybe e21 Recaros, something else?

The factory option Recaro and Scheel sport seats are rare as hen’s teeth because a new 2002 buyer (for most intents and purposes) could not order factory sport seats on U.S.-delivery cars. And originally — we know this from Euro-spec cars, where the option was only slightly more common — the factory installed them only in pairs.  Even a hammered factory sport seat is worth some dinero, because of its desirability and rarity.

But a few photos could confirm whether yours is, indeed, a 2002 factory sport seat, or perhaps the more common e21 sport seat.

Below, from the BMW accessories brochure, a photo of the optional sport seats: Recaro on left, Scheel on right.  And following the brochure image is a photo of the factory Recaro sport seats in a 2002touring.

Whatever you decide to do, please do not discard a factory sport seat: I, and many others, would happily buy it from you.

Regards,

Steve

B0562966-A9BC-46CC-BF53-65D818967E4B.jpeg

5080B2D8-353A-4C47-83EE-97F1599E990E.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

5 hours ago, irdave said:

Thanks guys...

Anybody have any seats they want to sell?

I have two stock seats that I plan to sell, but that isn't what you are looking for.  That said, I just had ProCar seats installed in mine, and they seemed like a good balance between the large size and price of Recaro seats.  I don't have a ton of time in them yet, but here is a picture.  Let me know if you want more info.  

I wrote a little more about it here: 

5a5cf7d3a9df3_SeatInstall2.thumb.jpg.88ae3377f7333a1d2ad55ca1f811834c.jpg

3 minutes ago, wheelieking said:

I have two stock seats that I plan to sell, but that isn't what you are looking for.  ...  Let me know if you want more info.

Currently I'm looking for chairs, good condition stock ones are interesting- I'm trying to avoid cutting out the stock seat rails and bolting something to the floor... (Because I've got some very low mileage BRZ seats sitting here, but on top of the stock mounts my head can reach a non-sunroofed ceiling...)

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:57 AM, irdave said:

Currently I'm looking for chairs, good condition stock ones are interesting- I'm trying to avoid cutting out the stock seat rails and bolting something to the floor... (Because I've got some very low mileage BRZ seats sitting here, but on top of the stock mounts my head can reach a non-sunroofed ceiling...)

Cool, if you are interested in the stock seats let me know and I can take more pictures of them since they are now both out of the car.  The driver side would need some help on the hinge mechanism, and they are pretty "springy" compared to the new seats I got.  For what its worth, the installer somehow had brackets that mounted to the same holes as the stock seat rails, so no sheetmetal fabrication was required.  That said, I'm 6' 4" and the new seats are too "high" so I'm going to have to either fab or work with them to modify the brackets so they are 1.5"-2" lower.  I think its possible without sheetmetal modification though.