• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Rear bumper bracket on 1973

Jvaz

Hello guys 

I have a 1973 2002, and I’m trying to close the big gap on the bumpers, I was told that all I need are the brackets for the 1972 front and rear.

I got bought them 

now I’m in the process of replacing the brackets on the rear bumper but the holes in the brackets do not match the body.

i try moving them around, trading places, up side down, they just don’t fit.

Here is a comparison picture of the 1972 vs 1973 brackets.

Any ideas ?

thanks

JV

5A73936F-B60F-4300-9C2D-625E1199953D.jpeg

9B56A039-9A78-4347-97C5-AB24E0B736F6.jpeg

I'll bet you've got a big gap !

Bracket you bought is correct ( 68 - 73 )

Your car and/or bumper has been modified for use with those big brackets

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

AFAIK the bolt hole spacing for all chrome rear bumpers is the same--this includes all '68-72 cars (US and Euro cars used the same bumper); Euro and US 73 cars (Euro cars used the same brackets as the 68-72 cars, US cars use the loop) and the squarelights.  US squarelights have the mounting holes for chrome bumpers (used on Euro market cars), plugged by little oval caps, as the Euro and US cars used the same rear panel stamping.  

So something is whacky with what you have--either the bracket was made incorrectly or your car has been modified.  Do the two mounting holes on both old and new brackets have the same spacing?  They should.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

51 minutes ago, mike said:

AFAIK the bolt hole spacing for all chrome rear bumpers is the same--this includes all '68-72 cars (US and Euro cars used the same bumper); Euro and US 73 cars (Euro cars used the same brackets as the 68-72 cars, US cars use the loop) and the squarelights.  US squarelights have the mounting holes for chrome bumpers (used on Euro market cars), plugged by little oval caps, as the Euro and US cars used the same rear panel stamping.  

So something is whacky with what you have--either the bracket was made incorrectly or your car has been modified.  Do the two mounting holes on both old and new brackets have the same spacing?  They should.

mike

Yes they do have the same spacing

It would seem that the new bracket you bought is incorrectly made.

If it was me, I would bend/modify the bracket and make it work

- could maybe add small extender with piece of metal, or try another bracket,

but I'd get a hammer and a pipe wrench and just make the thing work !

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

2 hours ago, nutbehindthewheel said:

It would seem that the new bracket you bought is incorrectly made.

If it was me, I would bend/modify the bracket and make it work

- could maybe add small extender with piece of metal, or try another bracket,

but I'd get a hammer and a pipe wrench and just make the thing work !

I’m trying bending them, also I’m trying to find used once.