• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saving horse hair seatpads

D.martijn

My brother got the idea to try and save some of the hose hair / coconut hair seat pads by applying some latex type spray on them. He tested it out on a spare seat we have and I must say turned out great. The hairs get some of their flexibility back and don't make the cracking noise anymore when applying pressure. 

I'm sure that we will still need to apply some foam cushioning but atleast the original seat pads themselves won't break further down anymore.

The left patch is done by applying latex by a spray bottle and the right one with a brush. Although the left one is a lot more flexible, it does have a tendency to weigh the hair down a bit and make it sink in.

38626414454_ceb5dcec40_c.jpg

I thought this might be helpful to some of you. If you decide to test this out yourselves feel free to share your experience.

I have tried things like that-

the problem is that the original fiber binder is so brittle, it shatters in the first 6 months of use.

Latex just didn't hold up for me...  it needed the fibers of the binder, just like fiberglass needs

the stranding...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL