• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experience with A/M Timing Chain Guide, Please.

48 minutes ago, Naz said:

Tension of the chain is only thing I can think of that would cause a noisy chain.

Agreed.  I'm leaning toward the guide causing the wwwrrring sound and a rattle on decel.  Your old one looks like it would be more forgiving at the ends where the chain enters and exits the guide.

My rattle is more distressing than the wwwwrrring.  I hope to have these issues sorted out asap.  If any others have had the sounds I'd hold off on using the new guide.  I may end up putting my old one back in.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Paul, I was a little reluctant about the design of the new chain guide but I'm confident that it shouldn't pose any issues. I did however add a couple shims to the oil pump to achieve what I believed to be the perfect amount of tension on the oil chain. I spent a lot of time removing and trying a few different shim configurations before I nailed it down. I have a .03 and .01 shim combo on the original oil chain and sprocket.

Of course none of my work has actually been tested yet. The engine is still on a stand. Be interested in hearing what you discover.

Have you checked the timing chain tension spring and piston?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Naz said:

Is this sound a new development in your driver or the tii engine you built?

Let me clarify.  2 years ago I striped the front of my car engine.  I did the chains etc and resealed.  After that I got the wwwrrrring sound and a rattle that sounded like a heavy chain being thrashed around.

The wwwrrrring sound I'm confident is the narrow guide and maybe the new tensioner.

The rattle has become my worst nightmare, as it's pretty ugly.

Diagnosis has been anywhere from wrist pin fatigue, damaged rocker shaft, to chain tensioner malfunction.  All requiring serious engine work.  Which I was about to start.  I'm booked and paid at Monterey in 6 weeks.  My bucket-list plan of driving my car to California is in jeopardy.

OH MY GAWD!  Paul Silva (local veteran race car mechanic) saved the day. In 5 min this morning he diagnosed and confirmed that my alternator bracket is loose.  A large pry bar wedged into the gap and the sound was gone.

Can you see the smile on my face?  I'M ECSTATIC.  Half an hour of work in the engine and I'll be good to go.  Whew, I'm glad that's over.  I was losing sleep over it.

Edit:  I dismantled the alternator assembly and found that the bracket is up against the side of the lower timing cover.  Tii setup.  Metal on metal.  I haven't completed the re-assembly but I'm pretty sure I have it tight now.  No more banging I hope.

Tii engine is still on the stand.  I use it for reference.

73 Inka Tii #2762958