• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new connecting rods

EvilEmpire

I need new connecting rods for my track/street engine rebuild. (new 9.75:1forged pistons, 90.5mm bore, 292 cam, dual 40s). The rods that were in engine were unlabeled H-Beam that PO hacked by grinding the webbing off a bunch of them I assume to balance the weights. Total Junk and I don't want that again so willing to buy quality new but don't need the top of line. Currently where can I get Stock rods that are matched or good quality aftermarket that don't look like the overseas crap I have?

I have a set of 135mm chrome molly Carillo's that I was saving for a future project (they were going to go into my Schnitzer race motor, thought that motor had 135mm rods in it, turned out they were 148mm), $750.  The new 148's I put in my motor were over $1600, Not sure what new retail is for these (guessing around+$1200).  You will have a lot of other things break in your engine before these do.  No biggie if no interest, look for them on Ebay in a few weeks.  Good luck with your project.

Edited by markmac

Now that you can get ARP bolts for the stock rods, I wouldn't run anything else unless you plan on holding 8500+ all day.

The stock rods are plenty stout- it was the fasteners that started to become a problem.

And since the stock rods ART plenty stout, lots of us have tons of them.  If you can't find anyone close, pm me.

I have Pauters in the more robust race engine, simply because, 10 years back. I couldn't find bolts that I trusted.  Including "GenyooWine" BMW, after a while...

Now, the only reason to go custom is to raise the pin.  Which isn't a bad idea in an all- out engine, but not worth it otherwise.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You should buy the shiny rods.  Who knows where a set of 'parts engine' rods has been???

There's something delightfully dirty about knowing that there's a set of sexy rods in there, and you're the only one who knows that.

(Sorry, mark, I didn't read your post when I replied to EE)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL